EmanMade – Beginnings of a YouTube channel

Great to see this. Im surprised more industrial designers aren’t on YouTube. I can only think of a few, it really is a good mix of all our skills. I

I’d really suggest keeping it about the project. Why are you making it, why are you making it that way - what’s your thought process? Spend more time explaining the design and thought process than the manufacturing. You don’t need to give enough information for every layperson to reproduce your project.

Im finishing up my very first video right now and I agree, this how to DIY approach is easy to do, but doesnt really showcase any unique skill that I bring to the table. I might still do them, but Im going try and at least keep it focused on very design forward DIY projects and not really utility focused one.

Example, just shot and did a rough edit of this project. Emmanuel Carrillo on Instagram: "Made a thing today. Outlet + USB extension box. Takes maybe 10 minutes to assemble and less than $40 in materials. #instructable?"
It’s a nice looking product, but no real process is shown. Next video I have queued up and in the works (furniture piece) will dive more into the design process/why of things.

Have a look at Casey Neistat (especially prior to his vlogs), Colin Furze and Linustechtips. I really think Linus perfected it to an art. Most of his videos are of him talking in one take and B-roll footage just flies over top to show detail. It must be very fast to shoot and edit everything this way and it makes it very engaging for the viewer.

I’m going to have to get use to this. Just doing my voice over was painful for me too. I use so many umms and breaks. I had to edit it to be smooth. When I practice speaking everything comes out smoothly and succinct. But as soon as I know I’m recording, everything goes to crap and I have to do 5-6 takes of the speaking part. Eventually I had to say this is good enough and move on.

Thinking about this makes me want to give it another shot though. I’d just make it way simpler and shorter. I’d probably do it with short clips on Instagram and then use that as B-roll for a long form video of the whole project on Youtube…

Do it. Id love to see more designers take on the YouTube age. I love watching YouTube, but hardly see videos where I’m like. I reallly want to make that. I feel like designers could give enough umph to projects to make me actually go out and create what I watch. Plus id love to have someone doing this alongside me. Be fun to have someone to talk to and bounce ideas off on the more technical side of things.