EmanMade – Beginnings of a YouTube channel

I gave a similar idea a shot a two years ago. I wanted a way to share projects. I enjoyed dabbling in cinematography and enjoyed making things, so I figured I might as well give Youtube a try.

So the most important take away, I stopped after 2 videos. :laughing: With that said, I’d consider trying again.

I didn’t really think my strategy well enough at first. I ended up making polished DIY videos rather than videos documenting design projects. Trying to keep a high production value is incredibly hard when making something. I fond I was putting more effort in the video than in the projects. I’d end up with half-baked projects I wasn’t super interested in by the end and just wanted to be over with… It just killed the fun of making things for me.

I see that so far you’re aiming for highly polished content. And I’d really discourage you from it. Keep it raw, keep it about the story. Sure you can make TV quality content at home but the amount of time required to do so is crazy.

Workshops typically have poor lighting and getting a good angle is a pain in the butt as there’s always something in the way. My advice on that front is to have decent lighting throughout your workspace and use the videos as motivation to keep things tidy and organized so you’re ok with shooting in any direction.

I’d really suggest keeping it about the project. Why are you making it, why are you making it that way - what’s your thought process? Spend more time explaining the design and thought process than the manufacturing. You don’t need to give enough information for every layperson to reproduce your project.

Have a look at Casey Neistat (especially prior to his vlogs), Colin Furze and Linustechtips. I really think Linus perfected it to an art. Most of his videos are of him talking in one take and B-roll footage just flies over top to show detail. It must be very fast to shoot and edit everything this way and it makes it very engaging for the viewer.

Though I’m slightly embarrassed, I’ll share one of my video so hopefully you can learn from it… Way too many shots, way too much editing, heck I even produced the music… voice-over in my second language was also painful :laughing:

Thinking about this makes me want to give it another shot though. I’d just make it way simpler and shorter. I’d probably do it with short clips on Instagram and then use that as B-roll for a long form video of the whole project on Youtube…