Looking for your feedback

I look at it the same way - there is a lot of convergence happening across different fields and different types of designers and developers need to speak each other’s language. Where interaction designers are more the usability engineers and graphic designers look at it from a more artistic perspective, I do feel that there need to, especially for larger projects, be separate individuals with their own expertise but working together. From what I have seen this expansion works very well. And from my experience in product design it has also been quite valuable to learn methods like heuristics, workflow/STD diagramming, wireframing and UML. I would expect from a graphic designer to be able to produce, well, the graphics, for all types of old and new media, even advanced applications such as AR. I also find it reasonable to expect from a graphic designer to have basic 3D modeling, web design and video editing skills. As for the overlap with interaction design, a general awareness and some basic experience would be reasonable to expect. Interaction designers on the other hand should have some insight into graphic design as well but mostly be responsible for the coding and deeper innovations in the user interface. I feel they can be expected to have advanced coding skills. I also want to point out that when educating designers, it’s good not to categorize them too soon but allow them to find their own way and be able to at least to some extent modify their own curriculum based on their own experiences and individual coaching.