Dyson Supersonic

There is a reason they sell for $30 at Wal-mart. It’s a commodity item. All of them have the same design brief: create a really cheap envelope around these components.

I guess there are enough people looking for anything nice that they will drop $400 on one instead of $30 every year. More power to them.

That Braun model at lower left is much nicer. Nothing visually obtrusive. Power cords were challenging in those days I bet.

I guess a lot of the cost is in the re-engineering of the internal components and impeller…there’s a science behind it, selecting the right motor/impeller design.
I love the look. I don’t think it would sell for that price looking similar to the rest. Also, a cylindrical handle is perfect for the use since most people hold it in many different ways to reach different parts of their head, kind of like electric toothbrushes. Maybe it could be designed “more ergonomic” if it was for a professional hair dresser that is standing and drying someone’s hair able to walk around the person rather than twisting their wrist to reach different areas.
$400 is a lot but hey, if you use it everyday to make you look good I think people would spend it. Also if it works better and is less noisy then it would be a big plus. Heck if it is quieter I would buy it for my wife. I wonder if it’s a coincidence they released it a week before mothers day?

I think the reason I have a knee jerk negative reaction to Dyson products is jealousy. I pitch stuff that is way more sensible than these products and get shot down. I think I’d be fired if I pitched ideas as left field as theirs!

That’s a great idea. I’d pitch in… :smiley:

Generally, I have been pretty impressed by the tech and the signature form philosophy from Dyson.
Especially when I see their hyper-stylized product presentation.

But then I see it in my local housewares store and am frankly mortified by the molding and overall built quality.

Haven’t seen this in the flesh, so I don’t know how this one stacks up but considering it’s a handheld product, hopefully it looks and feels as nice as it does in these heavy PS renders.

I posted an idea in the doodling forum :slight_smile: I’ll set up a separate little thread for it.

OK, all set up, sketch away: SKETCH CHALLENGE: Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer

The visible mold flow knit lines due to using that crazy metal flake-infused plastic is what has dragged down some of their earlier vacuum products. There’s an overall plasticky feeling to the products too, but as long as they work and I can get replacement filters I’ll be a repeat customer.

we are a Miele family over here. My wife couldn’t get past the buck rogers feel of the Dysons. The Miele’s just feel more tasteful… that and the ratings on their HEPA filters sold Kristina.

I have a Kenmore branded Panasonic. I find it pretty good.

Yeah, I spent a fairly good amount of time researching “the best vacuum”. After reading countless reviews and watching comparison videos I got tired and just went to Best Buy and got a hoover or eureka for $130 or less. I got tired of all the “this is good for floors but not carpet” or “good for low pile carpet but not for shaggy carpet”, “this one can pick up rocks but not fine dust or vise versa”, etc.
Sharks got really good reviews but felt like plastic toys. I liked the look of Electrolux vacuums but didn’t want to go by looks only.
So far so good.

[ Deleted ]

Keno: My vacuum has a similar holey plastic cylinder inside. Doesn’t the Dyson come apart so that you can rinse it out in the sink?

[ Deleted ]

That seems poorly thought out. My Kenmore completely disassembles, but it’s a proper canister vacuum not a hand held.

Never saw/thought about the holes in the dyson vac. My biggest issue is you have to hold the trigger down to make it work. Gives you trigger finger after 5min (it’s not light!). And the button is huge and square so causes major finger pressure issues. I don’t know how a person with smaller fingers could use it for more than 3 min without discomfort!

And yep. Looks stupid.

R

This guy does a product teardown of the Supersonic. Pretty funny but a bit rude and contains lots of swearing.

NSFW (wear headphones)

They even put a marketing spin on the mold flow lines. I used to carry one of these chips around with me and when marketing people wanted to try to mold metallic plastics I would ask if they were ready to do something like this?

We have a whole-house central vac system which didn’t seem all that appealing when we bought the house but quickly earned its value - all the dust, pollen and particles travel to a big basement canister and the resulting exhaust air travels outside through a vent at the back of the house. I empty the canister about once a year…it’s got super-suction and lots of accessories. With regular vacs, anything the vac doesn’t filter out leaves with the exhaust air - back into your house.

That said, a friend at Hoover sent me two Air Steerable HEPA Upright Windtunnel vacs about 3 years ago, we keep one upstairs and one downstairs - they are as effective as the Dyson DC35 Animal we had for a decade before, just as “plasticky” but easier to keep clean…and I think the retail on them is only $200.

I just want to +1 that product tear down. I love how the guy makes mistakes, but will correct himself as he goes on. It’s also a great display of how to get some basic product specs using household tools and products.