Is ID right for me? And other questions.

I’m encouraged by all of your feedback! Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

Thanks for the feedback! frog is an interesting idea and I like the ability to do both (ME and ID), although I think I’d want to lean more heavily to the ID side. I also like the idea of being more involved up front with the creative aspects of product design.

I figured that getting a second bachelor’s wouldn’t take more than 2 years, due to the lack of general ed stuff that I’d have to take. I guess I should look into it more.

Interesting idea. I definitely feel like I’m lacking the foundation for the skills an ID has, so starting a program could help with that. Ultimately I feel like I’d want to be as best prepared as I can be for a position in ID, but I suppose I could feel that out when in school.

I’d be okay with still doing some engineering, but I really don’t think it’s ultimately what I want.

Yeah, I can see that being something that I could do…a bit of both, but hopefully with an emphasis on ID. Good to hear that a combination of the two disciplines can be valuable.

I appreciate what you’re saying, but I really don’t feel that I have the skills necessary at this point to put together a portfolio that would be worth anything. While I can sketch a little, I’m not great at it by any means, and I don’t have the fundamental understanding of good aesthetic product design. I know it when I see it, and I can capture bits of it, but I don’t think that’s enough.

The people that you know that have shifted form ME to ID…did they go back to school or just morph into it?

I can see how they wouldn’t be as separate as I described, but it definitely seem like there are different skill sets, some of which overlap.