Is ID right for me? And other questions.

This might be a controversial thing to say here, but I am not even sure you would necessarily have to finish your ID degree.
What you need is a good design foundation but given the fact that you are a little bit older than the typical student and have relevant experience, I am not sure you would need an ID degree to land a good ID position.
Especially since you already have a college degree. So start the bachelor’s yes, but maybe drop out if you feel ready.

In my opinion, what you would need is a good portfolio, which can absolutely be compiled in less than 3 years if you are diligent about your work and plan for an early departure from the program.
I dropped out of my ID bachelors a year shy of graduating because I had a previous degree and with all due respect to the program, I didn’t feel like I would have gotten a lot out of the final year after looking at the syllabus.

The fact that you have such a strong engineering background, coupled with a passion for design, makes you a super interesting candidate.
However, I would make sure that later on you make crystal clear that you do not want to be pushed into a engineering role but want to be a full-on industrial designer.
Good, keen design engineers are hard to come by and I can totally see employers trying to nudge you away from ID. This is why your design portfolio should have a very strong design pov and you might have to resist the temptation to push your engineering skill too hard, which would finding a job probably quite a bit easier.