EmanMade – Beginnings of a YouTube channel

Step 2. Branding.

A big thing they talk about early in the MakingIT podcast is to just have a defined visual style. It helps people recognize your content and helps link all your stuff together. Again this will most likely evolve but I wanted to get something started. I’m not a graphic designer, But I do like to think I’m a designer that helps build brands. (Usually lifestyle brands.) So it was a fun challenge to try and tackle my personal Making Brand.
I began by doing a large name dump and brainstorm around the name. Figuring combos out of Making, Make, Maker, Made, Eman, Emmanuel, Design, Goods, Products etc. And just kit bashing things together. The problem was finding a name that I could buy a domain for. Because I personally think if you can’t get .COM domain, its not worth having as a domain. So things like DesignIt, DesignAndMake, etc were immediately out. I eventually tried as was able to grab EmanMade.com which I like because its easy enough to type out, but unique enough to not be forgotten. I then tried to grab all handles on social media. Twitter, insta, facebook, etc. Which I wasn’t 100% successful at :frowning: So I might keep my emancarrillo handle, since I have a monopoly on that handle. Not sure yet. Need to figure out if it’s worth combining the two online handles.

Step 2.1 Logo.
Pretty much browsed dribble and tried to find something I liked. Grabbed a lot of reference and settled on one image that I really liked.
open-uri20151228-3-6mt2j.gif
Broke down why I liked it (Isometric, electronic based, clean thick line weight) and tried to incorporate that into a logo. (I’ll try and find my early doodles) Ended up making a fun little PCB based design that incorporated some components into an E and distilled that down into more iconic word mark and logo set. I liked the fun Arudino E and plan on making other more graphical takes on the logo to show different process. Electronics, Welding, Woodworking, Casting, etc, thought it would be a fun way to play with the branding a bit.