Question about Graduate Schools

Interested in reading subsequent answers to this. I will provide my relatively uninformed opinions in the meantime.

1. That’s what I’ve heard, and that finding entry level jobs at a car company isn’t easy. With your background you might find some traction at a auto supplier, rather than graduating and going straight into a hot-shot blue-sky concept car design job. The Trans curriculum seems rigorous; I don’t know what the differences are between a Masters and an undergrad degree for Trans. Are you a ‘car nut’?
  2. I graduated from Syracuse in the 90’s and sometimes wish I went to a better design school. I wouldn’t trade the other valuable classes and university experiences and character-building stuff, but ACCD or RISD or CCS would have been better choices for design at that time.
  3. I’d say its 75% portfolio, and maybe 25% school, but good grades and a reasonable amount of time to finish the classwork does imply diligence and character. A good design school will more likely set a higher bar among classmates for a competitive portfolio but its not guaranteed.
  4. I know of Philips, Kimberly Clark, and CocaCola in ATL. Detroit is automotive and Shinola. So I guess I don’t know much.
  5. Whoa. You should be asking yourself these questions if you are considering going back to three years of school for a degree in a different field. What are you hoping to gain from doing a graduate ID degree? What are the relevant job titles and roles? Is that something you want to do?
  6. RIT has traditionally built a good undergrad portfolio. Don’t know anything about the others.