Gravity's sketching journal

Hi Core77ers,

I’m a career switch just like a lot of you here. I have never taken any drawing classes, and I’ve never really doodled much in my life. (I’m 24)
I know there is a lot I need to work on, but here are some things I plucked out from my stack of 8x11s that I did in the last week or so.

FYI, the only markers I have are black , a single grey, and some random colored pencils. I know I need to focus on my freehand and line quality first, but I figured I can work on both at the same time?

Thanks

Hey gravity,

I’m in the same boat as you! As a disclaimer, I definitely am still learning ID sketching and have a LONG way to go, but I’ll throw in a few beginning sketching tips and let the master ID sketchers on Core correct me where needed! :slight_smile:

You’re off to a great start! I definitely recognize that paint roller example, so it’s good to see that you already picked up some ID sketching books. If you list what you currently have in your library, we can make some recommendations for you.

As you’ve already started, keep it up with the stack o’ 8.5x11 paper. Keep burning through that stack with linework practice of freehand straight lines and ellipses and perspective sketches.

As far as materials go, I’d focus on adding in some more linework options. It’s actually pretty amazing how different each one feels and looks on the page. It can’t hurt to experiment with a few sheets of each then pick one type (pencil, ballpoint, felt tip) to stick to for a while to give you some consistancy. Here’s a few to check out.

Prismacolor Premier Pencil
Prismacolor Verethin Pencil
Papermate Flair
Steadtler Triplus Fineliner
Bic Cristal Ballpoint

Keep it up!
Gerry

Thanks for the tips. I can’t actually draw, I can only attempt to copy what’s on paper.

So far I have the Koos Eissen book, How to Draw by Scott Robertson , and Mike Lin’s book.

Hi Gravity,

Well done for having the courage to upload some stuff to here! It’s definitely a good place to pick up some tips!

In my first year of Uni we had a full 6 week project to just draw cubes in perspective, starting with single cubes at different angles then moving to collections of cubes with shadowing.
This might be a good exercise to practice with so you can get to grips with perspective and how things should look when you get them down on paper :slight_smile:

After that, you can use the cubes as construction lines to draw products in.

Other than that, as Gmay said, burn through those pages - practice makes perfect :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to seeing how you progress!