Industrial Design Schools: Opinions and Questions

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. She did get in UC today but I don’t think they will give her as much aid as some of the others. I am hoping to be surprised. I was really pushing for RISD, mainly because it is smaller, less crime and you know I’m the mother. But like you all said, she wants a strong foundation and an understanding of the science as well as the art and isn’t drawn to “an art school.” Of course, that may change when she visits. “So what does your daughter like about product design? What kind of projects would she like to work on?” That is a great question, FHI3. She loves art and Physics. She tells me design is the art of understanding. She loves to break things down and rebuild them to be better. I believe she has a designer’s mind. She takes a concept and dissects it and creates pages and pages of ideas. She can code and spent the summer at Smith building a boom box that responds to colors with music. She likes tech but doesn’t want to always be at a computer. Honestly, I think she could do lots of things but I think being a Product Designer would make her truly happy. And isn’t that what we all want for our kid?