ET's weekly dose of sketch

Designing the Toyota RAV 4 in the year 2025(ish)…went in 3 different directions with design. conservative, more progressive and another in between some what. I also tried to pick up some design elements from there FT1 and C-HR concepts. As always any comments, criticisms, or views are appreciated.

Thanks! more soon

Ford Focus sketches I tried to focus on the details of the rims and tires while also adding door cuts and removing the hard ground reflection. Perspective a bit off and lacking detail in the front grill area I also want to go a bit darker.

further developing RAV 4, added darker shadow and darker wheels to make it feel more grounded, I don’t really like the rear feels a bit to much like something Cadillac would do…still exploring

any comments appreciated

Thanks! 77

more RAV4 stuff working on locking down the front details, and playing with wheel size

happy thanksgiving core77

any comments appreciated

Thanks!

[ Deleted ]

Hey Keno Leon

thanks…I completely agree, just curious how did you get that effect?

apart of our assignment for next week is rendering a view in Photoshop, I’m not the most confident or very time efficient when using Photoshop so i will take all the help i can get

Thank you for the feed back!

[ Deleted ]

Ok so I tried messing around with adjustments on the scanned drawings in Photoshop ( I also have some other sketches that I have been meaning to scan that i will also try and practice more on), But i tried to follow your steps and tried to bump up the saturation

The last one is a render I did all in Photoshop it took a long time, but I had a lot of fun exploring different methods/effects and just everything that Photoshop has to offer

and thanks again Keno Leon for messing with the adjustments on the previous sketch, its cool to see someone else’s finishing touches (so to speak) applied to a sketch ok mine

[ Deleted ]

Good stuff. I think you can get a lot looser and more dramatic. I get a very stiff feeling from them.

Try opening your perspectives up in light sketch form first. Get that down and then start iterating over that. Check this out. 15 minute sharpie sketch getting your design in a wider, more expressive perspective. Think of the difference between taking a picture of a car with the camera far away vs the camera much closer to the car. As the camera gets closer the perspective starts to really push.

@ Keno Yeah I have been really struggling with wheels and the size of them and just how far up or down to put them…but thank you for pointing that out, i will change it and post an updated version soon

I tried to mess with the adjustments in Photoshop more as practice

@ Yo, Yes I want my style to get loose, I think looser sketches look better to me…but for some reason its really hard to do it and maintain decent line work it starts looking scratchy and less smooth…but I will just have to practice being loose more. And I experimented with changing perspective also a bit making the side of the cars converge faster to give it more of an exaggerated look, I had fun with this I feel like it makes the car look less stagnant like it has (some motion or direction)

a page of thumbnails and a somewhat exaggerated BMW i suv quick sketch about (20min)

Thank you both for your comments…there greatly appreciated!!

[ Deleted ]

Yeah nice… that’s a fun method, I did a similar thing with my thumbnails…but I never thought of then bringing them into Photoshop to tweak it

I have one more week with this rav 4 and upcoming bmw designs,I want to try and incorporate looser feeling sketches with more movement to them, and I think this will help

trying to get the rear view to feel like it wraps, and experimenting on not rendering the wheels/rims all of the way (my attempt to give them a less up tight feel)…added color and some blur for the digital front, need to pump the contrast up and better/ more complex rims…also if anyone could give me some tips about how to create an interesting background for my digital sketch (something more than just gradients im thinking) that would be much appreciated

Thanks again for the comments and knowledge, going to put it to good use for my finals!

finally done!!

I still feel like I need to get looser so that’s what im going to really work on in the next coming weeks using more pen and marker now that the pressure is off

thanks again, happy holidays…more soon

nice improvement this week! Keep pushing! Try turning the car a bit more to the side and getting a little lower or higher on the view angle.