Sketchstone's Sketchbook

There is a lot of character in those. Nice.

Thanks yo!

Trying to “design” more instead of just mindless sketching the same ol cars.

Original desgin, rear view

I like your stuff Sketchstone keep it up! :smiley:

Switching it up, practicing products & coloring.

Nice! I’m liking these doodles!

In a bit of pickle.

I’ve been drawing for quite a long while. Many many years of my life. I’ve done it as a hobby, and also professionally. But its always been a great pastime of mine, to just doodle whenever I had some free time. It made me happy. :slight_smile:

These days though, I think I may have outgrown my happiness that comes from drawing… I think its a couple things, but mainly I think i’ve found my ceiling, in terms of improvement. Maybe its time for me to find a new past time, a new hobby, that doesn’t involve drawing anymore.

what do you recommend for a beginner who wants to draw cars like these ?

I hear your frustration Sketchstone, but please don’t stop! Your style is really nice.

I second this… sometimes when it gets frustrating, try new subject material, try a new medium, maybe go full analog? Maybe use paint? Charcoal? Large format? Colored paper? Been drawing hard goods, try soft goods? Use a brush pen! Maybe do some life drawing from observation!

Switch it up a little bit. I’m sure it will bring some of the joy back.

Definitely try totally different medium. Try a different scale even. Sketch everything on 11x17 as large as possible. Setting a challenge for yourself might help.

Or generate a theme for a series.

I recommend that you do not try to draw “like” me. Fundamentals over style. Drawing style can only get you so far. Get the fundamentals down, then add your own unique style to it. Without the fundamentals, you will eventually crash and burn.

I too like my style, but as stated above, i think I’ve crashed and burned due to lack of weak fundamentals.

It’s not a subject matter frustration for me. I know what I am lacking, but I am unable to put it on paper, no matter how many times i practice or try. And honestly I practice a lot, every single day. Or at least I used to, until my latest dilemma.

I decided to mainly move on to a new passion, not entirely sure what it is yet, but I am currently trying to learn web development.
I will mostly likely not give up drawing entirely, but it will no longer be my primary passion.

BUT, here is a sketch I did last night. I tried to focus on styling over sketching ability. In other words, all 9 of these sketches used an underlay for proportion and perspective reference, by doing so, I was able to focus on the styling/design of each car.

Row 1: Honda Civic
Row 2: Lexus IS
Row 3: Mazda 3 hatchback

Sketch design process…

1. Started off with a really rough sketch to figure out basic form
  2. Used it as an underlay to define some more concrete shapes
  3. Used as an underlay again to make some final design decisions
  4. Quick rendering in photoshop

Just some cone shaped things