beginning of my Ids career

Some good stuff here. Don’t forget to power in your dark darks with the pencil. You can go I’d say three notches heavier on the line-weight in some spots. Also, the color sketch style you did for that brown adidas on the previous page was very good. Apply what you have learned sketching footwear.

here are a few line weight examples for your to benchmark in both pencil and pen. Not these these are awesome, just that I pushed the line weight. I intentionally went into my old old archives for examples.

Keep going!!!

Hey Mike,
I really appreciate it. I will definitely bump up my dark’s, your examples are great! They really give me a better understanding on where to make my dark’s even darker. The past couple of weeks we’ve been using verithin, this week we’ll be using verithin and premiere so that should help me out a little more.
Thanks!
Rus

Week 3 desk lamps/ lights some of the things i worked on were making my darks darker, material thickness detail, compositions and sizes, and visual connections. let me know what you guys think.
Thank you!

Looking at my sketches from a distance and comparing them to the examples above I should have went even darker :frowning:

Photoshop can fix that easily. I just opened it up, duplicated the layer and set it to Multiply. You can also play with the levels to get even more contrast.

R

Thanks R, I will definitely do that for future posts if needed. In our studio at AAU I have to put it up on the walls so If its not popping on here Its probably not going to pop off the wall there. That’s why I thought I didn’t make my dark’s dark enough. It ended up not being as bad as I thought it was :smiley:
Rus

Rus, even so, great step. I’m seeing a lot more confidence in those sketches.

Just keep trying to push it further.

I challenge you to do 5 pages of sketches that are “too dark”. Just try to make them really ugly and crazy dark. An investment of 2 hours tops. Lets see that and then we can dial it back a bit. You haven’t gotten there yet though.

Thanks Michael,
Will do!

Here are some quick thumbnails I did, I really made an effort to darken the products I even used a different type of paper. Looking at it again I was so focused on darkening it and didn’t take the perspective into consideration made me loose some of the sketches. I definitely have to find the balance.

Your line weight is excellent here. Ironically it seems like your scans might be light? I pumped it up to true black in photoshop so you could see the difference.

Thanks Michael, yeah my scanner at home isn’t to good. I’ll start scanning my work at school from now on, for sure a better quality scanner.

As long as you adjust the levels in photoshop you are fine. I adjust all of my sketches. Sometimes I even tweak proportions and shift the perspective a bit using the warp and liquify tools. In my view it’s not cheating, just using all the tools at your disposal. Is using a sharpie cheating? Of course not!

Sounds good, Thanks Michael,

Here is weeks 4 sketches

Week 5 sketches
I tried a few new things this week by sketching more like transportation, more contrast, building up and focusing on 1 area of the sketch.
open to any critiques

Thanks,

This weeks sketches, soft goods