Industrial Design Schools: Opinions and Questions

I went to Strathclyde University in Glasgow to do Product Design & Innovation, however it turned out to be a very technical engineering and broad product development course - these seem very common in the UK at engineering centred universities. Similar courses are available at: Loughborough, Brunel, Glasgow School of Art, Nottingham, etc. This broad degree helps me more now in big technical projects, but not to get your foot in the door as a designer for your first job.

To get in to industrial design, I had to go do a masters program. I looked at a fair few options in England and settled on Northumbria University, Newcastle. The School of Design there is a very nice program with very experienced designers on hand to offer solid feedback. It does however take on a huge intake of students and often too many for each tutor to handle.

If you are from the UK with a technical background, I recommend this scholarship for your MA - Royal Commission of 1851: Royal Commission for the Exhibition 1851