Gmay3's Sketching Journey

Every day for the last few weeks I’ve been reading and sketching along with the lessons in Scott Robertson’s How to Draw book, which has been a big help so far. On one hand I feel like I’m gaining more control with the pen but I also feel a little overwhelmed by the lessons in the book, especially with the constructions of 3d forms. Do most of you use a lot of construction when you’re sketching 3d forms? I don’t mind doing the constructions but they seem to really clutter up the drawing makes things confusing.

I think it might be nice to supplement this book with some of the others that were mentioned previously in the thread so I’ve just ordered ‘Sketching the Basics’. It seems like it has more basic lessons on constructing simple 3d geometric forms which I need more help with.

Here are a few of my latest sketches, nothing fancy but maybe they show a little better pen control. I’ve also really liked this uneven grid exercise which is helping me practice different ellipse degrees by trying to keep them between the lines.