Whatcha ridin'?

Time to balance out all this old tech with some new tech. Behold, Yeti’s SB5c, with their crazy “infinity link” suspension. So far… it is impressive.

Allcity Natureboy Zona (Love this bike)

Finished this last summer got a few cross races in before I had to move back to Chicago. For now its my big city commuter, I’m dying to get back into road riding but am holding out on adding to the fleet until I know my next move.

Iab, thank you for the detail. I like old bikes but am largely a poser. Now I have a little more knowledge. :slight_smile:

Those guys doing the mountain stages on fixies had to be juicing. OMG. Could they switch out gear ratios between stages at least?

Seeing that derailleur reminds me of the first time I rode with clipless shoes and fell off. I think I would kill myself reaching down to move my chain.

I believe the introduction of the flip-flop hub into the tour was about 1911/1912? . There are different strategies, but what I have found is that on the flats, they would ride fixed. Prior to a climb, they flip the wheel to the freewheel side. Lower gearing ratio but more importantly, it allowed coasting for descents. Fixed up a hill isn’t so bad. Spinning out on the downhill side sucks.

Also, walking was quite common back in the day. The domestique was also known to literally push their captain up the climb.

And yes, there has been juicing in cycle racing from the start. The Italians called it “la bomba”. Amphetamines, cocaine, even strychnine.

There are some good looking machines on this thread!
Here’s a pic of my baby- love to sport this guy around town.

I love pink bikes.

Richard’s Biomega got me looking at their current offerings. what are your thoughts on this bike?
http://www.biomega.com/us/#!/us/products/nyc-2-speed-automatic

I meant to post my bike this weekend, but forgot. For $1500, I want someone to push me uphill too.

Spendy for what you get.

Don’t care much for the aesthetics of the integrated front fender. And then they don’t even offer anything for the rear, probably look horrible with an SKS.

Belt drive and 2-speed SRAM is fine as long as you live in a flat city like NYC or Chicago.

Disc brakes at best are expensive and unnecessary for city riding.

The welding is clumsy.

The stem is simple and I like the reverse steer tube clamp but it lacks some refinement.

And are those foam grips? First thing I would change.

that is exactly why I asked!

I’ve ridden in the rain, rear fender is a must. Front is optional.

If you are looking for a knock-around-town bike, I like State for fixed gear, Linus and Public for gears. If you are going to spend Biomega money, I’d get a Shinola instead, but I find both to be spendy.

I’ve had my eye on the Linus bikes. I wouldn’t do a fixed but probably a single speed. I have one hill to get into town…

Anybody have any opinions about Tokyobike?

Cool bike. Not too terrible of a price. Long wheelbase, meant for plooting around town with comfort, not speed. I like it.

Although the 650C wheels are an odd choice. They want a smaller wheel, fine. But 650C is traditionally used for tri or time trial bikes. And your tire choices will reflect that, they will be narrow, hard and not for comfort. For city riding I recommend a minimum of a 28mm tire and ideally a 32mm. This bike comes with a 25mm tire. Less air to adsorb city road potholes and such. If they wanted a smaller wheel (700C is on most bikes out there), I would have gone with a 650B. Slightly larger than the 650C but a wheel traditionally for touring/randonneuring which translates well for city riding and great tire choices.

It looks like there may be enough clearance to swap to 650B but then you have the added expense of wheels and different fenders. I would also be sure to ask a dealer if there is clearance for the 650B,

I was looking at the propel-series for such a long while, before getting my current bianchi oltre.
Heard nothing but great testimonials of it, but please do share your experience!

My whip:
The jury is still out on if can afford new wheels or not this summer.

Wow! The Oltre is sweet. I looked at that one too but thought it was a little too pricy for me.

Sure thing, I’ll report back once I had my first more serious ride.

Seconding Shinola (for the money)
Adding Handsome as another option. www.handsomecycles.com