Portfolio Review

Thanks for the reply Bengt, yes there are a couple of things I’m aware need to be addressed but as it stands I believe I’m a decent candidate so all this rejection is starting to wear thin. It’s like I’ve finally got to a point that my work turns heads the right way, now I’ve got to learn how to give a good interview!

My job search has been a bit of a mix ranging from answering job postings on external sites, answering job postings on the companies site, cold emailing, and through recruiters. The recruiter positions have been decent but some have been vanished in to thin air, for example I had a Skype interview with your current employer for the Ireland office and didn’t hear anything back and had no contact info as it was through the recruiter.

I’ve also reached out to individuals in firms and I can pretty quickly knock together an eloquent email to introduce myself, some success here but usually its to inform me there is nothing open. I haven’t needed to cold call much to date although maybe I should start getting some voice time with the studios/people that aren’t answering emails.

One thing that has happened twice and left me quite flustered is I’ve been rejected for a position I’ve interviewed for and then a few days later see the positions advertised on various job boards. This happened this week for a position I was very eager to get and even had to do a 10 day tester project to present on a second interview. I was informed “other candidates are more suited to our needs”, yet five days later theres a fresh post asking for new applicants.

On the one hand I can understand I’ve not demonstrated what they were looking for, but as this is my future and involved a significant investment of time and money from myself it leaves me very frustrated.

It’s also a catch 22 regarding internships/gaining more experience. I’m not opposed to the idea of being full-time freelance or even an intern with a decent amount of responsibility but it is difficult to lay those cards on the table if this one might just be the one that is offering a full-time junior position if that makes sense?