Thinking of getting a new ride....rkuchinsky edition

Nice. Thanks for the heads up. I let him know if he didn’t know already.

R

I know this goes way back to the beginning of this thread, but I’m sure most of you will agree with this.

My wife really wanted to get an old Benz after her last lease was up but I talked her out of it (mainly because I wanted her to get a truck so I didn’t have to).

Maybe I should have let her…though finding rust free examples of cars like that in the northeast is tough these days.

Damn the tin worm. My brother had a '78 Mercedes coupe when I was in high school ('96 ish). I wanted to buy it, but it had a bum head gasket. He sold it off. Incredible drive. :~(

Thanks, Chris. Good post. Damn straight.

R

This 250C is just beautiful.

Nice. Not as nice as a Pagoda, but nice. I usually don’t like the W114 coupes, but that is a nice color and the fog lamps look good. He says it’s an Euro model though, but has US headlights. Would look much better with the one piece glass Euro lamps.

Video makes me wish it wasn’t winter here and I could take my car out of a storage for a drive…

R

Video makes me wish it wasn’t winter here and I could take my car out of a storage for a drive…

Say wha. . . .?!?! You mean you’re keeping a hangar queen? Drive that thing R!

It’s just too nice. I couldn’t bring myself to getting her salty. Not to mention I don’t think it would be that great in the snow. Big, heavy, no power steering and 4speed manual …87 e28 BMW is the winter ride. Figure what it’s worth Id rather save the value of the Benz by keeping the Benz clean. My previous 69 Benz I drove in the winter but regretted it. And regretted selling it. Though that one was not quite as clean. Won’t make same mistake twice.

R

You know what is in winterstorage for me?
A 1990 BMW E30.

LoL

mo-i

and I thought my '02 Focus was old. hehe

… and I thought my '02 Focus was old. hehe

My '89 'Scort trumps yer '02 Focus. Although I would like to have yer 14" inch alloys. :wink:

Given your location “winter storage” shouldn’t be of your concern, Lew. Or is it?

mo-i

P.S.: California Dreamin’ on a winters day: www.californiaclassix.com

Lew: 16" alloys. 14" steelies for winter.

Given your location “winter storage” shouldn’t be of your concern, Lew. Or is it?

Living within a half mile [0.8 km] of the Pacific ocean takes it’s toll. It’s definitely a “marine environment”; the salt is borne inland by the morning fog. If you hang clothes out on a line they get bleached; the tools inside my mechanics roller cabinet rust; the cadmium plated parts on my '73 BMW Motorrad rust, everything rusts. Even when it’s in the garage.

I’m experiencing this as well. I thought being in the garage would prevent this, but it doesn’t. Any tips Lew?

Over here classic cars with a Californian registration are sold as inherently rust free. Hmm
So how does the pacific air in Los Angeles differ from the air further north? Sales myth?

mo-i

I don’t think it’s the same type of rust as salt + snow for 6 months.

I know a few guys around here that have used storage bags for the winter months when they put their babies away. Seems to work out well. I dont know what brand one guy uses, but it had a few giant packs that looked like sandbags. I think they were actually silica gel packs to keep the moisture down. May be worth it to check out if you are in a moisture rich area and storing the car for a few months.

Some quick google searches give me these, although Im sure further research would be needed to see which is most effective:
http://www.classiccarcocoon.com/car.html
http://www.carbag.com/products/carjacket

I’m not seeing any rust on the chassis or anything like that. Not even on trim. I’ve seen some vehicles that park outside with a little superficial corrosion on trim pieces but nothing that isn’t easily corrected. Also, if you go 5 miles inland this is just not a problem. I’m 1 block from the ocean so I’m getting the worst of it.

Where I’m having issues is tools in the tool box. Steel chisels for example. No Bueno. I thought being in a tool chest which is in the garage would have some level of protection but clearly it doesn’t. In my house, I have a vintage fan collection and a mid century chrome shelving unit and both are showing signs of corrosion.

Sorry, waaaay off topic here!