Apple car wild speculation thread

Boxy mini-van as discussed.

I could see them doing a box like that.

Not if they use any of their $178 billion to buy a wind tunnel! Maybe they can do a new Rumpler Tropfenwagen…

Scott, awesome wagon. Not sure what Newson can do with that but the interior space is perfect, except for the fact that my ideal driverless car fits the maximum possible flatscreen across the front wall.

Wind tunnel efficiency I don’t see as important as these vehicles will form tight pelotons and get the efficiency from the column.

This one kind of reminds me of the cars in Spielberg’s 2001 movie A.I. -

1 Like

ha, totally, and I thought that was a pretty good movie prop car.

I don’t know, I just don’t think we’re ready for pelotons of driverless cars yet. The technology is getting close, but the regulatory and liability aspects are so daunting. Rational people can see how many lives would be saved even with half-baked buggy driverless cars, but we are not governed by rational people.

I don’t think it’s compatible with the traditional private ownership model either, people’s typical lazy neglect and non-maintenance would cause too many problems. Is a car share / Uber sort of model something Apple would go after?

The more I think about this, the more interested I am in seeing what they come up with. If they really try to do this, it has to rank right up among the biggest risks a public corporation has ever taken.

Apple will also build a new city, like Atlantis, just off the California coast. They will only allow iCars there. Black turtle necks in winter, t-shirts in summer. Daft Punk will constantly play. Some call it paradise.

Lots of strategic decisions to be made…but what about the styling.

IF they stay with the reduced form vocabulary of softend rectangles and circles. I can see THAT:

to bear a modern day interpretation of THAT:

Could end up more condensed:
stock-footage-tin-can-rotates-on-white-background.jpg
mo-i

You know you have made it when people are making satires about you!

I’ll know I made it with hundreds of billions sitting a warchest. :slight_smile:

This is what I want from a auto-driving car.

1 Like

I feel like I had a toy car like this when I was a kid:

I have a buddy that worked on a symmetrical car when he was interning at GM. It’s completely doable to end up with something nice.

Love that. One of my friends design the cube. I’m going to send this to him! :slight_smile:

Conspiracy theory eh? I have a bad feeling, but I’m with you guys too

Did you guys know that the designer of the original Audi R8 Julian Hönig
went to Apple 5 years ago?

What has he been doing all that time?

On a site note: the latest Audi news make me frown. Q7 and R8 wtf? Did kia apple
and the likes really dissect Da Silvas dream team of 10 yeats ago that badly?

mo-i

P.S. writing here on an android mobile givescme constant rezising issues.
Can’t read sh*t!

Download Tapatalk, mo-i.

Interesting read.
Even though I’m not an apple fan I am excited to see a new player in the car industry, it’s awesome to see Teslas drive by. It’s also awesome to think of what you could do if you started from scratch. I’m extremely disappointed at how most cars have the same proportions, features, etc.
They will probably succeed. They already have the customer base + they have the money to assemble a team of experts in the car industry; I’ve seen it happen in the aircraft interiors industry.
I’ve always felt Citroen cars have an apple feel.

I honestly think all this speculation on what an Apple car will look like is pointless.
I think it is more likely that apple will be focusing on the computers inside cars to have an apple (OS) feel and quality.

Consider the following; all modern cars have really large displays and fullout, onboard computers, however there isn’t mush standard when it comes to size, interface, software and how it integrates. Every car company kind of does it their own way and though they look really cool, I feel consumers are impartial to them. People care more about the quality of their ipad displays and than the screens in their cars, in fact most people probably dont even care about the screen in their car or the software involved when making car decisions. Its kind of a ‘meh thats cool to have a digital display, but it is a nominal perk and I wouldn’t care if was there or not,’ after all, everyone at some-point was perfectly comfortable with analog feature in cars. Personally, when I see glimpses of UI in ford or BMW it looks totally alien, confusing, and glitzy-glammy. What?! now i have to learn how to use this weird OS from fast and furious that I have never even used before? Its like trying to use an old gaming console with some weird navigation…its not windows and its not apple, what is going on, how do I get it to do what I want? I give up.
Apple will probably try to capitalize on that, by developing --you already know-- , apps, software, UI, iconography, and most of all ties your car into your, phone, pad, computer family of electronics. People will say ‘wow, that onboard that I once overlooked when considering purchasing cars is now an apple and really understands me and my driving needs’. Car makers will say ‘we need to design to incorporate apple OS to sell more’.

I would say this is an obvious if not overdue step for apple and I hope there is success in the end.

I think you just described the Google Android car…

Apple would never make technology for a single small component. They want the entire ecosystem (see iTunes and App Store.)