Affordable Design

I can fully understand you, Sketchgrad.
Possesion simply doesn’t fit my lifestyle. Right now I am constantly switching Countries/Continents… I am not even sure if I will be here next year. I mostly rent furnished appartements and I am glad for every piece of IKEA that is in those places because usually they serve their purpose without offending me too much aesthetically. I used to put a few fake designer pieces into my places. Especially where they were extremely simple to buy (In China they obviously give a shit and sell you very high grade fakes for small money). And I left that stuff behind without batting an eye. I got far more interesting things in my life going on than worrying about my desk lamp… I mean seriously: there is simply no other option for me. No financially sane option. And no, I don’t consider it sane to eat “noodles for a month” to be able to afford a chair or something… especially if I cannot be sure if I can take it with me next time I move. And finding a designer piece on a flee market is usually a “once in a lifetime”-thing that makes a good story. But is not really a productive method to buy interior.

It has nothing to do with missing appreciation. I love products. I love thinking about them, I love creating them and I also love to have them around me. I just don’t have any particular interest in ownership. And with every year I grow older it seems more and more ridiculous to me. I don’t want to own a car. And I am very sure having an Eames lounge chair in my living room is actually having a rather minimal effect on my life quality (I am not saying that it wouldn’t be really nice) :wink:

The opposite is the case: I feel as a designer it is much easier for me to see behind the symbolic value of a product. I know how a brand is constructed. I know how things are loaded with meaning. And I know that everybody puts their pants on one leg at a time. Please, let us stop to pretend the expensive original bought from vitra/Herman Miller/whatnot is indestructible. Sure, 95% of the existing fakes and copies are utter shit, but there are always a few really REALLY well made fakes that are nearly indistinguishable even for the trained designer’s eye. And a lot of them probably last as long. Let us not pretend it is HARD to fake an Eames plastic chair or an Eiermann table that is just as good as the real deal if you really want to. Is it morally watertight to buy that stuff? Absolutely not. But you should realize that owning and buying really expensive designer ware is a hobby that mostly lives through its symbolic value of things, and very rarely can be justified by “hard facts” (there are a few exceptions of course) . And it is not necessary to project that hobby onto other people… even if they are designers.

One Day I’ll probably settle down and also start buying the real, expensive stuff (I assume/hope by then I also will have enough cash to do so without living on ramen for a month)… OR I will postpone it to the point of time when the hypothetical kids are just a few years older :mrgreen: