Affordable Design

So I thought I’d give this thread a bit of a bump (6 months isn’t too bad) after picking up a couple of knock-offs after relocating back to the UK and realising all my worldly possessions apart from clothes could fit in to a large Home Depot box. It’s time I started buying my own furniture, that wasn’t from IKEA.

Although I do agree with Richard that there is a lot of stuff that can’t be knocked off like an Eames Lounge chair there is plenty that is passable. Sometimes it just isn’t worth paying full retail or waiting around for that perfect item to pop-up from some ebayer that doesn’t know what they are selling.

Recently I ordered a knock off/reproduction Arne Jacobsen ‘AJ’ Lamp and an Eames DSW chair. Here in the UK the Conran store sells the chair for £329 and the lamp for £547. A total of £876 on two pieces of furniture. I paid £60 for the lamp and £30 for the chair, both brand new and realistically saved myself £786.

Now I admit, the chair has a few minor details that are a little off. Mainly the hardware and the wooden legs are a bit pink, however the lamp is spot on and to be honest only myself and other very design conscious people might be able to spot that they are knock offs. Most of my friends wouldn’t notice and will probably think I splashed out a lot of money.

Anyway, the point I’m getting at is I am very pleased with these two items, they didn’t break the bank, they aren’t IKEA and they look fantastic. Some knock offs do the job when you know exactly what designer item you are looking for.