Good design you love to have

After reading this post the other day I started thinking about the things that I have and love. When it comes to consumer goods, I can’t think of many things that give me joy every time I use them. One that does is a Snap-On 15mm box wrench. The wrench is simple and has the perfect feel in your hand. I think of the 15 as the “business wrench” in my tool kit. Usually when getting down to work on bicycles, the wheels have to come off and if they aren’t quick release, they are 15mm. Having a nice tool that you use with high frequency is a great pleasure.

This particular wrench was bought by my dad, probably around 1980 when he was an auto mechanic at the local Ford dealership in our small northern Alberta town. Me and the old man didn’t share many Norman Rockwell moments, but a few that I remember revolved around working on my bike. He was a self described “bush indian” and having grown up with parents that weren’t great, he seemed to believe that he’d be a better dad by not being around. When he died two years ago, I inherited his tools. I knew I couldn’t take them, because I’m currently not in a stable living situation either, but as I looked around his small shop, I opened a tool box drawer and saw this wrench. It had to come with me.

It reminds me of the best parts of my dad every time I use it.