Portfolio Review

I’m just curious though, wouldn’t focussing on a particular skill in one project and another skill in a different one be showing you are a jack of all trades than it would to have a consistent master skill throughout? None the less I get your point though and will be focussing on achieving this going forward!

In the end, design is a jack of all trades, some people just are better at other parts. My whole comment is based around, trying to make sure your portfolio pieces don’t feel like cookie cutter copies of each other. Ask what was the most important part of this project is, “I modeled this piece for production” or “I helped develop the clients form language” and showcase that as the hero process step.

I’m 100% open to suggestions on how better to showcase this part of the project if anyone has any ideas?

Render them straight on and call out feature sets of whats going on? Or bite the bullet and 3D print them.
Ive used http://www.3dhubs.com/ in the past and just used a guy who had a makerbot. (ended up being much cheaper than shapeways) He even shipped it out to me.

So unfortunately today I found out that I am out of the running for what is my dream job currently. The company is fantastic and the facilities incredible (I realised I thrive somewhere with a workshop), unfortunately I don’t have some of the skills they were looking for.

I had a great rapport with my interviewer, the design lead - he loved my projects, thought process, the way I presented myself and was interested in me. He did say that my sketching was a bit of cause for concern, although admitted it was him just being hyper-critical.

This is not a bad thing, keep up the work. Dream job can always wait a few years. You’ll be much better position for it after you get a bit more experience.

This sketching black cloud is something that keeps following me and although I try and improve, it will just never be my ‘selling point’. I believe I have plenty of other skills under my belt that make me a good designer and at the end of the day sketching is just a tool for communicating an idea. I just wanted to put it to those of us that aren’t in the ‘elite’ sketching crowd, how do you get around this?

You sketching isnt bad, It just feels forced. I don’t consider myself to be a hyper-elite sketcher. But I am confident enough to sketch an idea out and it communicate it, without having to think abut drawing it. This to me is an effective sketching style, even if its not hyper realistic. Its all about communication. If you don’t have to worry about construction lines, drawing through, to mee thats when your sketching feels the most natural .

as