Icon

Just take my money already.

Just so I’m clear, the ‘wire mesh’ in the side grill is actually a solid piece of machined aluminium? That’d be pretty awesome!

Great work all over Michael, love the attention to detail!

Bu… … . whassup widdis???

jus’ keepin’ ya honest M. :wink:

That aluminum ridge mismatch and gap really jumped out at me. Thought its incongruity could be a homage to the original but never had time to look it up.

They match at the bottom, where they parallel the vertical surface; what a PITA to fit up the edge to the convolutions as they climb up that surface. That the vents and the pulls aren’t exactly parallel to the lower edge of the dash, well… … .

Well, you all know I’m yanking D2O’s chain, right?

Its all good. Those things stand out. A previous build of this interior had a trim piece between those two aluminum parts. Not sure about the vents and knobs, I’ll have to ask Jonathan.

Don’t know if you already saw this, but pretty awesome.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/93541

Now just to get 9,500 more people to click support on it!

I got a 404 not found. I assume a lego Icon though? I’ve seen a few floating around.

Jonathan recently announced a project we have been working on for a bit. It hasn’t been built yet, but I was pumped he started talking about the Icon Bullitt Mustang, capturing that Steve McQueen style with a bit of a twist. Check out some of my design process sketches below.

I’m very proud of the interior on this one which integrates walnut veneer very similar to an Eames lounge chair, machined metal trim, bison leather, custom gauges, and a touch screen with Apple Car Play… of course the next one will have to top it. :slight_smile: Never stop.

Cool. Nice renderings. Stepping up the game!

R

Thanks man. Always trying to push myself. So impressed with some of the renders “the kids” are doing these days. :slight_smile:

Thanks man. Always trying to push myself. So impressed with some of the renders “the kids” are doing these days.

Old’sKool Michael, old school… Really looking forward to the reveal on this one.

Nice! Will be interesting to see what direction you went with - “Icon” or more stylized.

Indicator lights in hood vents = awesomeness! Hope those make it to production!

I love everything in that interior. I don’t know if it really fits with the Mustang / Steve McQueen theme, which to me implies more early 70s LeMans racing stuff: quilted black leather, crackle black paint on the dash, Dymo switchgear labels, etc. But ignoring any of that implied context, it’s gorgeous. I’d love to see more legit wood used in auto interiors.

I do really like how it’s all quite refined, and almost friendly. A big difference from so much of the mods that make every car angry and aggressive. The interior is almost Mini “cute”.

R

Scott, The original Bullitt is pretty stock Mustang. Steve was involved with the build, and it was a very reductive approach. He didn’t add much, he subtracted a lot. We tried to keep with that theme. The IP is all stock structure with the plastic bits all replaced by CNC’d metal and walnut wood. Even the HVAC vents are like that in the original car (but plastic). The center console had to be designed to match this look while integrate an iPad mini that is driving the considerable amount of hidden electronics (the drivetrain is all new). The door panel is entirely new and one of the IP embellishments are the machined hoods over the gauges, both add to that Mini-esque feeling the Richard pointed out that riffs off the same time period.

Super fun project obviously… wait till you guys see the next project. Going to push it even further!

I’ve actually never seen Bullitt! I’ll have to check it out. Seeing stuff like this makes me miss working with cars.

You should check out early 60s thunderbirds. Some great spacey stylimg I think would compliment this. Lots of round bezels and Chrome accents. One of my fave interiors ever. I think 64 is the year. What year mustang is this based on? Looks later? Don’t know my pony cars that well.

R