Chair WhatzIt

As we are currently refurnishing our home on a budget I received two of those as a gift
from my brother. We could use 2 more so I started looking around and saw them tauted as
Ilmari Tapiovaara designs. Well, I am not convinced. I’d say those are 1990ies eastern
European knockoffs, but can’t really find a source or manufacturer. The ones by Stol
Yugoslavia had different undersides.

Any hints.?

mo-i

The ones by Stol Yugoslavia had different undersides.

No hints, yet, but the seat pan on the rocker (made by Stol) sure resembles the dining chair that you have. What is curious is that googling “vintage Stol dining chair” brings up the rocker, but not the chair you posted.

But your proto there only resembles a Tapiovaara (below). The most notable feature is the cold-molded seat pan vs. the solid one on your version.

Here’s the rest > http://adoremodern.com/objects/seating/sechs-stühle-fanett-von-asko.html

The write up on > Küchenstühle der 50er mentions Artek, the original manufacturer of Tapiovaara’s chair. It also mentions that Artek has acquired the rights to theTapiovaara collection.

A little more googling came up with another manufacturer of Tapiovaara Fanett chairs: Billund Traevarefabrik

Billund Traevarefabrik - 2 vintage design items

Tapiovaara was obviously an appreciated designer. Here’s a chair “influenced by Ilimari Tapiovaara”, made by Pastoe

BINGO!! Just found this picture here>
http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/huis-en-inrichting/stoelen/m856865343-4-x-retro-vintage-pastoe-spijlenstoel-tapiovaara-stoel-60j.html?c=a2384ef0ece270f44503df9f8598c624&previousPage=lr

identifying “in all probability” (see text) this as Pastoe Spijlenstoel

Either way, here’s a complete Tapiovaara dining set; the table and four chairs for £1,000.00
Here> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extendable-Dining-Table-by-Ilmari-Tapiovaara-Asko-Finland-Esstisch-1950s-/351175414465?pt=UK_Antiques_AntiqueFurniture_SM&hash=item51c3af92c1

Thanks Lew,

most amazing Detective work. Looks like every european region had their own interprrtation of his original Design. As we are close to the NL border those are the best guess, yet.

So Marktplaats is good for more than classic cars…

Any more insight would be helpful in this thread. Thanks!

Why is the english term coldmolded while we say steampressed?

mo-i

Why is the english term coldmolded while we say steampressed?

Du hast mich! Maybe they are not actually the same process??

I think of cold-molded as literally a cold process, with no heat added; wood veneers, coated with glue, stacked between matching plates and clamped together.

It’s really term used more commonly in the marine industry. Canoes were being fashioned with a version of this process before 1800 (strips of wood laminated over a form), it was used in the fabrication of the German Albatros DIII fighter aircraft in 1917, and WWII American PT boats were fabricated in this manner; it’s still a economical process for one-off yachts. But it didn’t show up in the furniture industry until Charles Eames and Eero Saarinen introduced its use in the Museum of Modern Art’s Organic Design in Home Furnishings competition in1940

Micheal Thonet was using steam bending in his furniture as early as 1850.

I found this vid interesting. It’s the manufacturing process for the Herman Miller Eames Lounger. It looks like they are using a heat activated adhesive. When I interviewed with Robert Blaich at Herman Miller in 1973, the molding process was, as I recall, still a cold process; there were a bunch of molding forms with clamps. The CNC routing was years away and a hand router and holding fixtures were in use at that time.

Modern Man would be quite surprised if it is true considering the original “Kazam! machine” Charles Eames developed in 1942 used embedded heating elements that ran off of electricity he pouched from the LADWP line on the pole outside of his apartment at the time.

I’ll happily reuse my old thread.

“WHATZIT?”

The Ceiling lamp? Manufacturer?

I think I saw something quiet like it for outdoor use. But Mikado Lamp doesn’t yield a perfect result.

Thanks for any hints!

mo-i

[ Deleted ]

Thanks, Keno for helping me out and and in consequence showing me that we are still “working poor”.

We will probably not have a 30.000 $ chandellier as a garden ornament.

Uggh.

mo-i

Looks like 1x1 square steel tubing, welded, powder coated.

Seems easy to do a 1-off yourself.

[ Deleted ]