Design visas and H1Bs

Well, I’m not expert on that matter, in my company I’m the only one who doesn’t speak German, all foreigners come from around Austria, so they do speak German and are EU citizens. I did interviews on skype with them and I knew I was coming here with the position secured. I’d say if you have a good background, including working experience, it shouldn’t be that complicated to find something. Most of my friends don’t speak German or didn’t before coming here and they got jobs with around the same wage as Austrians.

I’ve met non-EU citizens, but almost all of them were students in Europe or permanent residents before getting the job so the issue wasn’t that complicated to obtain. A friend of mine was doing an internship here and then he got offered a permanent position, they company was sponsoring him so it was easy. At my flatmate’s agency they have people from the US (3 -4 in a 35 -40 people office), some of them came straight from the US, the company sponsored most of them. Here we have Redbull HQ, so there are plenty of non EU working, but I never had the chance to ask any of them how they got their visa, maybe there’s somebody here who went through that process.

I just did a little research and apparently they changed the visa system, they unified it in a way. It’s called BLUE card, for high skilled workers, you can come here and work for up to 2 years. I’m not sure if you can get a permanent one afterwards, but probably it wouldn’t be that complicated.

http://www.internations.org/austria-expats/guide/moving-to-austria-15578/austria-visas-residence-work-permits-2