UPDATED: vintage concept sketches

Some great images by Paul Bracq. This guy has quite the employment history. Some things get a bit ‘artsy’ but they are still great. Do a google image search for a ton more.

(Ripped some from his web page)

Bracq 1.JPG

And a few more good ones. I love the scale that they used to make drawings. If you’ve never seen a full scale ortho in real life, they are amazing.

Bracq 5.jpg
Merc.JPG

beauties!

R. Henry Gurr’s FX Concept, from his 1955 book ‘Automobile Design’
10313382_723093164414186_6807909272557609016_n.jpg

That sketch is awesome. Digging the use of warm/cool colors.

check out the triple reflection of the person in the tail fin, deck and streamlined section trailing the headrest. Skilz.

Some old Ford Style brochures. Its interesting to see the difference 7 years makes. I just wish the images were slightly larger.

1956: Past Print: Ford Styling brochure / 1956
1963: Past Print: The Ford book of styling / 1963

Super cool. Thanks for sharing those. I wonder what their purpose was, perhaps recruiting?

Just came across the upcoming documentary about automobile concept design from 1948 - 1973, “American Dreaming” – looks like it might be quite good from the Trailer.

1989, Dave Fleming, toasters

^ very early 90s. Looks like a Zip drive. Old enough to remember those? 50mb cost something like $30. You can get a 10gb usb drive at the drugstore for $-5 now. Ha.

R

Totally. I had a bunch of those Zip disks floating around for awhile.

A few more from the same guy.

image.jpg

Wonderful economy of line and marker in that bus sketch.

I still have the box of my parallel port zip drive. I tossed out all the cables as no computers have parallel ports anymore. I love the design though. I have inspiration on hand when we hit a retro '90s trend.

an ItalDesign render of the DeLorean and the original Freeman Thomas notebook sketches for the TT.

I’ve been seeing a lot of info around the web about American Dreaming​, a documentary about mid-century car design. I finally decided to get off my keister and contribute to their Indiegogo​ campaign. They are trying to raise 20k and have only so far raised 5k with only 18 days to go. Designers, contribute and spread the word! American Dreaming: Mid-Century Car Design on Film | Indiegogo

At least share this on your social networks. Let’s get these guys funded. I want to see this movie :slight_smile:

Contributed a little bit, and shared it on LinkedIn.

Also sent it to a few clay modeler friends, who promptly replied with photos of themselves at the actual gallery opening for the American Dreaming exhibit. Ooops.

Good song, btw. Dead Can Dance.

Ha, that is a good song. Reminds me of college.

Hey, at least all those clay modelers know you supported, that is good. Frankly I think GM, Chrysler, and Ford should just fund the thing as it will be a giant commercial for them in a way!

vintage goodness
bugsketch2_650.jpg
Chemobile-1.jpg
Flying-wing-1.jpg

more vintage goodness

Mathis-5.jpg
RoadAir1.jpg