Affordable Design

I disagree about knock-offs … Most look similar, but are lower quality, and have zero resale value. Buy a real Eames Lounge today for $4000 and it will be worth the same in 1 year. Buy a knockoff for $800 and the next day it’s worth $200 at best. A vintage Eames lounge is often worth more than a new one, BTW.

Cost, like “good” design is relative. A $2000 lamp may not cost $2000 to make, but you are paying for the originality of the design. Same way a designer may take 15 min to come up with a great design, but 25 years of experience is what allowed him to do it.

Vintage is the way to go, if possible.

I can’t imagine the vintage or online furniture options are the same in Chile as in N. America, but either way, my advice would be to start collecting early, and better to buy less good, expensive pieces than more cheaper ones. Consider it an investment in your future happiness. I started collecting furniture and objects in University, and now, 15 years later, I have a loft full of stuff I love and I know will be with me for a lifetime.

I can only say that in 15+ years of collecting, I have never regretted paying too much for something I love. 10 years later you won’t remember how you had to save up or eat noodles for a month. I have only regretted paying to little and settling for something I didn’t love, a copy, something “temporary”, etc. Maybe just me, but I feel worse throwing out a $15 IKEA table I used for 6 months, than throwing down $2000 on a chair I’ll have until I die.

The hunt is part of the fun. Consider it a long-game. Start early, buy often and in 15 years you’ll have a drool worthy collection, lots of stories and have the satisfaction of knowing you have a solid foundation to grow on, while your friends start from scratch or make due with IKEA.

R