University Application Portfolio

Hi Isaac, I’m currently in 3rd year at Carleton so I’ve been through the same process as you a few years back (although for the life of me I can’t remember where I put my application portfolio).

Anyways, I like your updated portfolio. I think for Carleton specifically, it’s a great portfolio because their main focus is process so you’ve shown quite a few sketches and thinking behind your projects which is key. If you could overall I’d include less text and more photos; the more you can use images (or drawings) to describe your intent, the better. If you did also any research or testing prior to any of these projects I’d also try and include it. Like the camera strap project is really good in my opinion because there’s probably been some user testing involved in there and Carleton is a big fan of that (spent a month on user testing for my 3rd year major).

I also agree with rkuchinsky’s advice about the cover page; make it more striking. While I admit my portfolio’s cover page wasn’t really cool either I know some of my classmates had fabricated cover pages (one made of metal and one of wood) so do try and attract their attention with something that really says “this is me”.

Best of luck with applying and if you have any further questions about Carleton you can message me and I can try and help!