I need some idea... for innovation!

My name is Marta Palsdottir and I have a BA in product design but I’am currently working on my masters in marketing in Iceland (European version is more about research than advertising).
Can you tell me what books could be used for a Management of innovation course? I wanted to ask on behalf of my professor who has a background from Harvard but would like to pop things up. This is a business school where creativity is very welcomed in product innovation

If you have any ideas for books, articles or blogs please let me know.

This is the course description:
“The aim of the course is to give students an insight into management of innovation, whether it is development of a new product, technology or services. The course will deal with how the environment can support innovation and how it can aid in the management of the innovation process. The course will study both applied application of innovation as well as academic research of innovation and its management.”

Thanks
Marta

Not sure what you’re looking for, but you can start with “10 faces of innovation” by Tom Kelley

Creating Breakthrough Products, by Jonathan Cagan and Craig M. Vogel

I’m not very knowledgeable in this field but I recently read:

Devin, L., and Austin, R.D. “The Soul of Design. Harnessing the Power of Plot to Create Extraordinary Products.” USA: Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 2012.

And I found it to be very insightful. It explains among others how besides designers, managers also need to adopt the approach of being an artist. And it explains to some extent why design should be more intrinsically interwoven into the value creation process, rather than mostly being an afterthought. I’m not sure if this book should be part of a student’s curriculum, but to me this book was a little jewel of a find, so you may consider using it.

Some recent popular books are:

• “The Lean Startup: How Today’s Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses” by Eric Ries
  • A.G. Lafley, Roger L. Martin (2013). “Playing to Win: How Strategy Really Works”

Feels strange.

Shouldn’t the faculty member be doing this work themselves, not having someone be their proxy? I understand the important role of students helping faculty. But this appears beyond that, more like dereliction of duty.

I’m getting that bad feeling about school again . . .

take a look at the books used for the NorthWestern MPD2 masters.