Affordable Design

Hm yeah, in my experience there’s a lot of design-unconscious people that just get whatever seems to fit what they need at the given situation. Then there’s people who like nice objects but have no sense of how to put it all together. Then there’s, usually more welfaring, people, who design their entire interior up to the smallest detail according to a picture in their mind. And as a result the whole thing looks overcomposed and unliveable. And often turns into a mess after a while.

I carefully select the pieces for my interior little by little, I try to think of the specific function of a piece and whether it can take over functions of other pieces, so I can minimize the amount of stuff in my home. It doesn’t have to be expensive, what I do is buy a few eye-catching design items that I truly love, and fill the rest in with more standard stuff from, mostly, Ikea, and some from other stores, or used goods stores, or furniture that family and friends don’t use anymore and happen to fit within my interior. Be careful for the ‘Ikea tipping point’, after a certain percentage of Ikea stuff your entire room looks like it’s from an Ikea catalog. I don’t buy any stuff with ornaments from Ikea, only functional, rectilinear things that don’t draw any attention to themselves. The nicest thing to do for your interior is to create your own furniture though, it can be much cheaper that way if you have the appropriate (wood/metalworking/sewing) equipment.