Greatest wheels

Since someone already posted Minilites and the OG BBS wheels, I’ll go with Lotus wobbly webs. Constant wall thickness for easy casting in the 60s, but with integral stiffening by deforming the material out of its plane. Often paired with inboard discs at the time, so the lack of brake cooling was not an issue.

Who’da thunk “wobbly wheel” was a technical term?!? Thanks Scott.

I really want to get some Campagnolo wheels (Auto) for a 2002 or GTV project that will happen sometime.

But BBS Basket weaves and Turbo fins are always classic. As are Work Type-02 and type-03.

These early cr-x wheels are something I keep an eye out for.
1984-1987-honda-civic-crx-1.jpg

I nominate the GTi and the original XTerra/Frontier 4spoke wheels for the more recent category. Love those friendly clean wheels.

GTI_wheels.jpg

Great examples of how to fit a wheel to the body, especially liking the BMW’s.
I sometimes like more radical things.

Bridgestone-Airfree-TiresH-A-318142-13.jpg
airless-tire.jpeg

I like the French concepts a lot in terms of appearance. Cars to me are mostly just big products so I actually like them to look more like appliances.

Some more, just because I have a hard time making a selection.
Renault_twin-Z_wheel.jpg

1994_lamborghini_diablo-pic-37633.jpeg

Speaking of nice wheels…
greenferrari.jpg

yes these wheels look amazing…especially on the 840 coupes, #2 on my list of factory wheels though :smiley:

Im partial to the late 90’s MB AMG monoblocks, part of what made me want the car…

though not sure what it says that i eventually replaced the wheels. the ones on my car had some rash and issues with the polished lips. was gonna upgrade to the 18" version from the E55 amg as the car in this photo, but everyone who has this car does that (still the best looking wheels for the car though) and they are quite heavy, and expensive to get real ones, so i went with something lighter.
I know these are love/hate for lots of people.

God there are so many cool wheels I want to post it is like a mental log jam. Some great ones already covered.

SWEET

I love these simple wheels that have a spaceship-like quality to them.
Not to forget the hugely succesful Philips Roller radio, which started a new design approach appealing to young people, even before My First Sony.

Gt90side newedge.jpg
philips rollerradio01scaled.jpg

I love those Lotus Wobbly Webs. I’ve always liked the old school Jag spoke rims:
BobMillstein-Jaguar-HansgenSpecial-AO.jpg

Spanner in the works: Ugliest rims I’ve seen around the place (view at own risk: Think 3 spoke wheels are bad? Try two spoke wheels. Bonus Points: The license plate was AK 047 - Imgur

I’m kind of a 5 spoke guy.

I’ve always wondered who bought these:

Way back in time a girlfriend of mine had those on an english green Austin Maestro while we dated.
She was (and is) a stunning redhead with freckles.

The color of the car contrasted her hair nicely, the cuddly rims contrasted the ruler straight lines of the Austin, all good.

Hope this solves your mystery.

mo-i

every design decision is a part of a larger system :slight_smile:

I like the P101… forged monoblock so lightweight and strong too
15013504976_4bfd3e72b3_o.jpg
IMG_1710.jpg

Clever!