Favourite book?

Admin you have moved this to ‘off-topic’ when the question is directly related to design. Why?

Francis D. K. Ching

Frank Ching. I hadn’t heard of him before. Any book in particular? And how has it benefitted you?

What specifically design are you into?

Playdo, the topic was moved because it wasn’t getting too much interest. You will notice that when I moved the post a “shadow” link in General Design Discussion forum was established that forwards to this new position; so, in essence, it appears in two forums.

Since posting duplicate topics in more than one forum is generally discouraged, you’re actually ahead of the game.

Since moving you’re received the only replies since you posted… so it must have worked. :wink:

@Lmo: It’s picked up interest now, and it’s a very valid and useful topic on design. I’d appreciate it if was moved back to the correct sub-forum.

@TomJones: I’m interested in most areas of design. I think it will be best to hear only about books that have had a big impact on you, and how. Maybe ones that have taught you valuable information on running your business, or perhaps non-design books that have given you a different outlook to life, bettering your design.

I have to say, the Dyson biography is very inspiring and it’s good to hear he shares my opinions in many ways. A great read for anyone freelancing in any creative field, and how to overcome such obstacles. I wish I had read it when I was much younger. Another, though very different, of mine is Daniel Simon’s ‘Cosmic Motors’. I’ve always loved conceptual vehicle design and photoreal visualisation, and find this book really aspirational. Purely visual …but that works too.

@Lmo: It’s picked up interest now, and it’s a very valid and useful topic on design. I’d appreciate it if was moved back to the correct sub-forum.

Yes it has; that’s why I moved the topic here. And as you can see it is STILL listed in the General Design Discussion forum where others will see it. And, your bumping aside, as long as others show interest in the topic it will automatically remain at the top of the forum.

While you’re waiting for the membership to respond further type → site:core77 design books into your google search line - it will bring up all past core77 subjects with the words “design books” in the title.

I think I misunderstood your intention to get more views by having it in two sub-forums, and didn’t know that it moves up in General Discussions. Yes, I searched and read the topics beforehand.

Now I am reading Charlie Chaplin biography book- Very interesting.

I usually love writing. Hence, I have chosen my career to spend rest of the time as a writer. Previously, I was a researcher at University. I would like to recommend the book Coming to Writing and Other Essays by Helene Cixous, a French Writer. The book, which is a collection of six essays, has been edited by Deborah Jenson.

I recommend this book for all.

Steve Jobs: A Biography and still Lord of the rings

Now i am reading “The monk who sold his ferrari” by Robin Sharma

I am going on a trip to Japan today and will be reading Sprint written by guys from Google Ventures, about their process to develop product ideas and concepts and test them in one week.
By the way, Goodreads.com is an excellent platform for sharing, reviewing and managing your book collection.

just finished ‘the art of racing in the rain’ by Garth Stein coming back from Chicago. Definitely one of my top 3 books

Less and More - The design ethos of Dieter Rams I would highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/Less-More-Design … ieter+Rams

and if you splurge and pay more the paper it is written on provides a whole different level interaction experience… but in turn i dont let people with grubby hand use it :wink:

Does anyone know any good books on running shoe design?

This book isn’t related to design, but it is worthy to read it. It made me think about different things, including business and human’s feelings. It is called “Atlas Shrugged” by Ayn Rand. Fantastic book!

My favorite book right now is “What’s Best Next” by Matthew Perman

Hey, all!

I was going to post this in the “What Are You Reading?” thread, but realized I’d rather post here since I just finished a great book. I’m also hoping that my post here will resuscitate this thread and get it going.

Just finished Medical Law and Ethics by Bonnie Fremgen. It’s a great account because I have always despised visiting doctors. I have met very few doctors that actually listen, or explain in detail the side effects of the drugs they are so ready to prescribe. Of course, this is not to indict all doctors. But it is true that to doctors, a patient is just another “case,” or in this age, a “customer.” Perhaps it is time we conceded that doctors need the routine mental health clean-up, too. They meet so many people daily, and are always under pressure to heal or repair a person. Then, there’s also the self-image: doctors tend to think they can take care of whatever it is that ails them, mental torment included. A doctor can’t catch it all, though. It’s only ethical that a doctor undergoes routine sensitization and mental health clean-up. It’s good for them, too, not just the patients.

Overall, a very good read. Gives great ideas.

Some very design-unrelated recommendations here…sounds like a scary world, needing mental health clean-ups. We do clean up a lot, one of the best things for mental health! I like doctors because they keep things scientific. In the health arena I have two recommendations as well: Gut by Julia Enders and Survival of the Sickest by Sharon Moalem - it relates to design somewhat in learning about complex interactions between different micro-organisms, in an ever-changing evolution driven by genes, whose behavior can be compared to how software behaves and evolves.