Coolest car sketches ever?

DSC00280.JPG
DSC00278.JPG

lovos_concept_phorzheim_2009.jpg

Some cars by Robert Rebholz.

It’s been a long time since I looked at hot car sketches…I love Kimberly Wu’s style, nice call on that.

The ones I really remember from when I was a student and a few years after looking at this stuff all the time:

Kyle Evans - It’s hard to find a good size image and these don’t really do his photoshop technique justice at this scale, maybe someone else can share a bigger image

Tommy Forsgren - always loved his stuff - loose /gestural / emotive

Brian Izard

Kort Neumann

I might look through my hard drive to see what else I might not be remembering.

Does anyone remember the Nomads sketchsite from wayback… I think it was Nomads.nl or something, lots of retro inspired flying car stuff, very cool

This has to be the best sketch of a crap car that I’ve seen since the Aztec!

You’ve got that right…talk about design vs execution.

Hey, thanks for pointing out that
execution of style and drawing technique can make pretty much
make anything look great whether its a
2 point perspective curved cornered cube,
a vehicle, botanical sketches, figure drawing, etc…

Those are cool looking renderings of the Dodge. I like that “drawthrough” technique of the bottom sketch that helps show the vehicle’s volume. Its wide stance, the wide
part of whatchamacallit surrounding the rear wheels remind me of the side of a horse’s rear legs.

The vehicle’s (V8?) rumbling roaring engine adds to the dimension of the overall driving experience.
If you add a rear spoiler it would definitely bring out more of the car’s overall personal character.

I have to ask – which Dodge came out of those and why it is so bad? (edit: whoops, Dodge Avenger.)

I love Kort Neumann’s Range Rover (more at Range Rover D90 by Kort Neumann at Coroflot.com) and the linework of group 8 (Nov 15th).

Agreed, those sketches are just fun to look at. They have a super fun character to them. They feel like the person drawing them was just having a great time. The visual communication style is super spear as well, visually showing features like the integrated snorkel and removable gas can.

The Avenger sketch was done by my teacher/CIA alum, Ryan Nagode. I’ve been a fan of his work ever since I’ve seen him graduate many years ago. He’s pretty much a master of the pencil sketch!

U should be on the Viper team.

Came across these on a Tumblr. Pure hotness.

Definetly. Shows how powerful grey scale with one color pop can be.

That last one is fantastic because it emphasizes the dynamic use of the product, but also does a good job conveying form.

There are some absolute jewels here but also a few horrendous examples of abysmal design trying to be amped up through cosmetic rendering tricks. Then many others are either too smudgy, too hatchy, or too crisp and constructed. The best ones to me are sketches that are accurate, have good contrast and color pop, and convey the emotion/value/experience.

lwy61.jpg

liking this style

rod