What cell phone do you own?

Sony Xperia T

I used to be an iPhone guy as well and I loved them.
Recently a Lumia 800 fell in my lap, literally and I am now “using” it.

I believe I bitched about this in another thread already but my disappointment compels me to mention this again:
It seems as if everybody is refusing to work on apps for a Windows Phone!

Gorgeous piece of hardware, yes no doubt but the fact that Explorer is a joke of a browser (a webdesigner friend refers to it as “Internet Exploder”) and that I can’t even get the most basic apps is terrible.
Can anybody explain to me why there is no Nike+ running app? Probably the most used and popular fitness app in the world?!
I now have to run with my iPhone 3GS instead…

Official Gmail app? No sir… This is what it looks like on my phone compared to an iPhone. Welcome to the 90’s:

A product needs to be linked into its context and can’t operate on its own. Apps need to be developed or it dies on the vine.

It seems as if everybody is refusing to work on apps for a Windows Phone!

Exactly why I ended up not getting one.

I went Apple and I enjoy it. I’m intrigued by the Moto X though, and I’d like to give Android another chance.

The list of major missing apps for WP is getting so short it’s almost superfluous.
Nike is Apple only, no one else.
Never got the gmail complaint. Gmail has been synced into my Lumia since day 1.

Complaining about the OS of Lumia 800 is like complaining about Android Gingerbread 2.3

I planned on switching to Windows Phone as well because the UI is just so much more refined than anybody elses including Apple. Unfortunately the Nokia Maps can’t handle some specific things I usually use Google Maps for… and are just not as good as Google Maps. But apart from that I really like what I am seeing so far. I will have another look in a year or so.

I think you’re experiencing the same thing the Android adopters went through - it takes time for developers to get enough complaints and see enough market share move to any ‘new’ OS for them to act. I’ve found the same things during my Windows Phone experience but only a few times (for instance, I use the default mail app for all our accounts and it works great - why go to Gmail via the web?..or if you’re a Gmail-only guy for mail an Android phone might have been a better fit anyway?) If you decide to stick with your Windows Phone, you might start seeing more apps - I’ve noticed it already. I read an article last week that Windows Phone moved up in market share from 7% to 15%, taking 4% each from Apple and Android. I believe the Nokia phone push is driving the expansion.

I have a galaxy note 2. I used to have an iPhone 4 and a HTC X, but after having this phone I can’t use an iPhone, I fell I can’t type in such a small keyboard, I read a lot of books (is almost the size of a Kindle) and have a wacom pen that make easy to make some fast sketch while visiting factories or checking prototypes and you don’t have paper and pen with you all the time, but I have the phone in my pocket all the time and it doesn’t feel big in your pocket (sometimes I even don’t feel it because is very slim). Anyway I’m very happy with it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Samsung rocks (and as a designer I’m loving their commitment to including the S-Pen in almost all their new devices)…ATIV Q anyone??

I recently got an iPhone 5c as a work phone, but I’m keeping my galaxy 3 as my phone. The biggest differences for me are the apple podcast app, so much better than any android one I’ve tried, and the apple magnifying glass-text editing, again miles ahead of android. Everything else is pretty equal. That said I prefer the galaxy 3 overall (I came off a 3GS) mainly because it doesn’t have iTunes. Just plugging it into any PC and being able to drag and drop files is a wonder apple fan boys will never know.

There’s an App for that. Don’t even need to plug it in.

nurb, do you mind sharing the app name? I hope it is not iTunes… :smiley:

Desk Connect
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/deskconnect/id642218244?mt=8
Works pretty well. Some limitations, but works well.

Surprised at all the Galaxy owners here. I guess if they sell a bazillion, that has to include designers as well. =)

I’ve been wanting to check out a Galaxy recently. I was also hoping the Moto X would have done a bit better, but it sort of seems to have flopped.

I still like my iPhone, but I may explore alternatives next time. Maybe I’ll be ready for a windows phone next time.

I’m really excited to see what the iPhone 6 will be. It would be awesome to see an iPhone 3g-style with all-glass front (curved on all sides) and all metal back with some kind of bezel in between. The iPhone is due for another radical step forward again, on the level of the iPhone 4. It might even tempt me away from Windows Phone…maybe.

LG Optimus G Pro. After a couple months of usage can safely say it is a good phone.

Google Nexus 4. I got it for OS longevity and because I wanted to take advantage of MVNO networks, ie Simple Mobile. I use it for email, etc. I was pretty excited about it when I got it a year ago, and I still like the freedom.
LG-Nexus-4-add1.jpg

Anyone have T-Mobile? I have AT&T right now, 2 lines, 1 data plan, no text plan and it can get up to $130/mo. I find the $30 unlimited texting plan particularly eggregious. I’m interested in getting an unlocked Lumia 1020 and jumping ship to T-Mobile.

It always blows me away how much mobile plans cost in the US… I remember having an iPhone and paying about a hundred bucks a month… Now I get grumpy when I have to pay 40 quid / $60 a month. Carriers are really milking consumers over there.

So I’ve been looking for a new phone too. Had the Sony Experia Z - it’s been so disappointing. Screen broken twice - in my pocket, no big event like a fall, and with a tempered glass screen protector and shock case each time. Also the camera image quality was very low - even with 13 megapixel. All the small details are filtered in some way that kills the image quality. So much I love about it, but the camera is a priority to me and I can’t be shelling out for new screens every two months.

The 1020 is very tempting and I want to believe there’s good competition out there, but I think Im going back to Apple. It’s hard to get around the all around quality level in the iPhone. The screen is a little too small, but everything else is superb and there’s never any problem getting the apps you want. Maybe now some of the issues I had before, like having to use iTunes to move files around won’t be a problem with cloud apps and spotify

Travisimo, you should talk to someone with a Lumia and WP8. Depends what your app needs are, but honestly the parity is greater than ever and Lumia hardware and design quality is iPhone level. They’ve even been doing curved glass edges for a few years before Apple is getting to it. It’s just that old stereotypes die hard, most WP complaints were outdated 12 months ago but still get parroted about.