buying a range - soliciting advice

Been working out of town… late to the party, as usual.

One thing to consider is the performance you need. Gas is slowest. Residential BTU output is nowhere near that of commercial restaurants because of safety regulations. So most of the market for gas cook tops is more about the appearance of professionalism. How important is this to you? if very important then the one that looks best is the way to go.

if you can run 220 volts, Induction is by far the most efficient way to turn electricity to heat.

I’m glad you threw in the comment about the most efficient method of turning electricity into heat. Burning gas is the most efficient way to produce heat, and I’d argue that gas produces more evenly dispersed heat across the cooking vessel (bottom and sides). Natural gas is cheaper than electricity, and does not fail when the power goes out.

And I don’t agree that gas cook tops are “more about the appearance of professionalism”; I don’t cook for a few hundred people per night. I prefer gas because it is more intuitive to use; big flame/more heat; little flame/less heat, and is instantly responsive to adjustment.

Granted … gas appliances are initially more expensive to buy and install (especially if your house is not plumbed for gas). Children and pets may be more at risk from burns with an open flame, but then, they are at risk from the less obviously perceived threat of an electric cook-top as well. And accumulated electricity has never caused a structure to explode.