Sony's new QX smartphone lenses

What do you all think about this new camera lens from Sony? I really like the idea of being able to shoot independent of your phone. The form is very simple and elegant but almost robotic.

The new compact, ultra-portable cameras can be attached to a connected phone with a supplied mechanically adjustable adapter, or can be held separately in hand or even mounted to a tripod while still maintaining all functionality and connectivity with the smartphone. They can also be operated as completely independent cameras if desired, as both the DSC-QX100 and DSC-QX10 cameras have a shutter release, memory card slot and come with a rechargeable battery.

Sony Corporation of America Press Releases

Love this idea. Very interesting take on rejuvenating the dying world of point-and-shoots. It would be cool to see if they could find a way to put sensor in the phone mount, throw on an E-type lens mount and basically have a body-less version of their NEX line.

I really like the idea also, to take the only necessary part of the system, the lens and the large sensor and incorporate it as a standalone. New form factor is nice to see, almost rivals a goPro package. Wonder how the bandwidth of communicating the data stream from the sensor to the remote display works?

I like it as an idea and I do appreciate Sony trying to do something different. I’m not sure of the market size though: GoPro is awesome, P&S and m4/3 cameras are generally getting better, and casual photogs are pretty happy with just their smartphone. I’d like to run into someone in public using one these in the future and ask them what they think about it.

Totally agree, I’m not entirely convinced of the concept. DSLR users will keep carrying those around, while Instagram/selfie-addicts are unlikely to want to carry two separate components around. I would find it very interesting if the lens could communicate with the phone wirelessly, letting you trigger/view shots remotely while staying in the photo.