Women in Industrial Design

DesignerX I’m a female director in design. It was tough to get here. There were few other women in my class in school. High school counselors were pushing me into engineering because I had good grades in math and science. I loved art. Working, I had some good breaks because I am female but I also experience harassment and discrimination. I was in departments that I felt I didn’t fit in because I didn’t smoke cigars and cheat on my wife. I hope that things are different now for women just starting their careers. I’m sure a lot of women have left the field after similar experiences to mine. I’m was and am just bound and determined not to let these things stop me from doing what I love. I’m in a great place now but it was a long haul to get here.

DesignerX, It’s really encouraging to hear your side of the story. I can only imagine what you had to go through to make career leaps forward. There are few of those “boy club” moments that you just can’t seem to relate sometimes, but perhaps not as bad as you had experienced them.