Shark deterrent wetsuits that look like Dazzle Camouflage

http://www.sharkmitigation.com/ with the University of Western Australia.

“By disrupting a shark’s visual perception, an attack can either be diverted altogether or at least delayed to allow time to exit the water.
SAMS has been working with the university for a number years and has translated the scientific data into a range of shark deterrent designs.
The two design variations either present the wearer as potentially dangerous and unpalatable to a shark, or make it very difficult for the shark to see the wearer in the water.
The shark deterrent technology can be applied to products such as wetsuits, skins and stickers for diving air tanks, surfboards, kayaks, skis and more.”

Sharks have trouble seeing this pattern:

This pattern is unpalatable:

Cool. The blue ones look pretty trendy.

I’m more interested in the ‘unpalatable’ options. Sharks have pretty bad eyesight already (I think) so making yourself invisible won’t be as much of a help. As I understand it, they are also attracted to splashing, panic, and yes, blood.

“While sharks have a number of receptors used to detect odors and weak electrical fields in the water, it is apparent from research that vision is the crucial sense in the final phase of a shark attack. By disrupting the sharks visual perception, an attack can either be diverted altogether, or at least delayed allowing time for evasive action.”

Those assholes creep up on you. I had a 10ft bull swim beneath my legs last spring, came up from behind me. Took 5 minutes to get breathing regularly.