GE Artistry Series

All in all, I do agree with much of your rant. Nice job. But since it is so long, I will just focus on this bit.

First, what you claim to be what is wrong in the design world right now, has always been and always will be what’s wrong with the design world - bad design is bad design. GE certainly didn’t invent it and they will be not the last to put it out there.

I’d go as far as to say that this isn’t necessarily bad design. It appeals to a certain market segment. And that market segment doesn’t give a single rat’s crap if it is honest or not. I could even take it further by claiming your attitude about what is “good & bad” design is the pure embodiment of everything that is wrong in the design world right now. While I might not agree with that segment’s idea of “good” design, I will not deny them their convictions, they are just as legitimate as mine or yours.

If GE makes a buck or two off of them, I won’t get upset. And I don’t think there is any conspiracy to brainwash and dupe consumers when there are hundreds of choices for them to make.