BMW 4 Series.... BMW is back!

Mike - My time most recently was spent in a 2013 M3 and a 328i (vs. my older M3 and my X5) - I suppose I’m reacting to the top and bottom of the line and the problems I see in both. As a BMWCCA member I get to experience the newest cars before most and we spend a good bit of time behind the wheels and under the hoods, as well as having BMW techs provide insight into the technology of the newest models. The CCA gatherings are all dusted with more than their fair share of praise ad even then my lackluster reviews are unfortunately coming firsthand! The E39 M5 is a great driver’s car but not a great DIY car for sure. The drivetrain is a detuned F1-based, sensor-laden showpiece that is music to hear until something breaks. That car represented a turning point for BMWs that you can (or can’t) afford to take care of yourself. Knowingly or not, I chose both of my BMWs because of their purity. Both have the vaunted inline 6, both have manual transmissions, both are pre-iDrive, neither have onboard nav and both can be fully maintained from within my garage under my control without having to take either to the dealer for a reset or a battery check or an ECU kickstart. I guess those days are gone for new BMWs.

Cameron - I think Chris Bangle was the first to try to bring the Germans out of teutonic-land to convince buyers that styling was one of the reasons they would want a BMW over a Mercedes or Audi and I suppose it all snowballed from there. Those first 3 or 4 cars done under Bangle were (imo) horribly styled (Z3, 7 series, etc) but DID move the brand away from different sized peas all from the same pod so maybe his goal was a success. Maybe BMW will move back toward the styling purity that had me so attracted back in the 90’s and early 2000’s.

Ray - I think someone has almost hit your target - the Chevy Cruze line. If you have a chance, give one a try - GM learned a LOT when they took their Chevy and Cadillac cars to the Nurburgring for 3 years back in the early 2000’s - they brought back chassis tuning knowledge that has benefited almost every car they make - you’ll be surprised at the refinement of that modern, simple small car, especially the ECO model with the 6 speed tranny. Not RWD, but everything else on your list.