Designer/Engineer Hybrid Portfolio

Wow, thanks! That’s really great to hear, especially since I didn’t mange to secure an internship in design for this semester (though I’ve catalogued the reasons and they’ll hopefully help for December).

I’m focusing my search on larger cities (primarily London, NY and SF). I get really restless without something to do in the evenings and after 4 years in Ottawa I’ve done pretty much everything at least once so I think it’s a natural next step. That said, if a great opportunity was to come about organically, location’s not a dealbreaker. If you did have the power to fly me down, I would definitely take you up on it regardless of location because it would be a great learning/mentorship opportunity (are you still in SLO?). The balance between location and position is a bit of an internal debate at the moment.

My plans have also changed a bit since I first started this thread, after learning more about where I fit into the landscape. My current plan, backup plan and backups to the backup are:

A. Full time job as a junior design engineer
B. Design engineering internship
C. Hang out in a design hub for a month or so to network myself into one of the above
D. Masters in ID in a design hub to help create networking opportunities and a platform to churn out some cool projects (may not even need to finish it)
E. Undergrad in ID in a design hub, for the same reasons (hopefully wouldn’t need to finish it)

Also, thanks for the resources! The Proto Labs Cube was what I used to help with that project, I didn’t realize you could get them shipped for free. The rest of the resources are great as well, I skimmed through the Bayer guide and it looks extremely helpful. I’ll hopefully be able to give everything a proper read-through soon.