The Official Hubless Wheel hater thread.

Level Up

What the &^@$ is that?

You win the award. What award, I’m not sure. Its hubless.

Guessing it uses those props to turn the wheels…? Anyone?

Incredible.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2017062404/b-go-beyond

Just an RC quadrocopter/car hybrid. I know this is the hubless hater thread but I think it’s a cool way of accomplishing both :wink:

kudos to making a working model (the video on the kickstarter), but I couldn’t shake the suspicion that strings are involved

Good Pics…

I think that’s just a product of poor controlling software. Looks like there’s no gyro sensors for stability, and I think he’s manually balancing the speed to hover. I had similar results flying a cheap RC helicopter.

Video of a better control system for comparison:

I had similar results flying a cheap RC helicopter.

GMP Cricket cheap?

As Seen on TV Store cheap :stuck_out_tongue:

The Cricket looks pretty awesome though, spent some time looking through forums and engine specs. Do you know how long they can go on a tank of gas?

As I recall, they could go, about ten minutes… if you could keep it in the air that long. I never could.

I did become quiet proficient at rebuilding the damned thing. Gorham made a helluva lot more money on me from spare parts, than he did from the helicopter itself.

A pretty complete machine for 1980.

From Bikeradar’s Eurobike coverage- saw it and thought of you guys.

I kind of like that one though. It looks like Robocop’s bike or something…

Can’t say for sure without riding it, but I would expect the steering to be a bit… vague.

I love that it has cruiser bars and leather grips. That thing has an identity crisis.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we’ve got another hubless design. Though credit where credit’s due, this one actually works. I wouldn’t say it revolutionizes the world of transport (their words), but it doesn’t look to be a bad product either.

This post has started making me really miss the classis wire wheel. Why doesn’t anyone use these on a concept car?

I’ve actually never been a fan of the wire wheel. I get the nostalgic charm, and interesting construction, but they just look fussy (and hard to clean)… but, that said, I think a black wire wheel could be interesting.

Indeed…

I agree they would be a painnn to clean, but they do work well on classic cars and remakes. For example the lovely Eagle Speedster looks just fine with them in silver. As well as the Morgan three wheeler.

Why doesn’t anyone use these on a concept car?

Fabrication cost is fairly obvious. Not so much for a “concept” car, but if the overall feel of the design is based on the spoked wheel, the model offered to the public probably should have spoked wheels, n’est-ce pas?

My take on black spoked wheels is that the builder was either too pressed for time to disassemble them and have all the parts replated, or that he’s too cheap and simply rattle-canned them black; black hiding more sin than “chrome” or aluminum/silver.

Maybe a step further back is in order?

well, maybe not that far back…

Source: Model T Ford Forum: What do you think of these??