Micro/Smart apartments - What do we think?

I didn’t realise you guys had replied to this until now…

I have been thinking a lot about the concept of super smart apartments and how I wouldn’t need anything more than one up until I had a family (I put would* in the original post, my mistake)…

Here at my school we have a single final year project that we do and I have been trying to think about how I could use this concept.

Could I standardise a design that could be optimised for 250 sq/ft, 350 sq/ft and 450 sq/ft? I would want to start a company with it if so and I know it would still be boutique kind of design, perhaps in batches of 20 apartments at most but I just can’t stop thinking about it… Yes, it would be hard work but how great would it be if a company could completely refit a dilapidated apartment for say $50,000 that increased the monthly rent by 30/40 %…

Thoughts on such a daring project? I just can’t seem to fault the idea if it was done with a lot of thought so that I could justify why a customer wants it and they will say ‘oh yer, ok that’s a great idea!’…

Pull out beds, sofas, tables etc. BUT done in a very elegant way, as part of an entire, well thought out design - no ‘oh we’ll just stick that pull out bed here’ mentality. I know the American company that produces fantastic pull out designs but I think it needs to be a whole, integrated apartment design with everything considered - kind of like the ‘Machines for Living’ but much more modern.