bowtie Budweiser can

(with the harder shoulder, longer neck straight, and added metal, it probably won’t crush as well as a regular can.)

As a new package design and in an effort to reflect its iconic logo, beer brand Budweiser by Anheuser-Busch has introduced ‘bowtie-shaped’ beer cans.

The new can is the pale lager label’s 13th design, and has been in development since 2010—but it will not be replacing Budweiser’s traditional can.

To create the can’s unique bowtie shape required special can-making equipment, and a 16-step process: 10 to form the bottom half of the can; the other six to form the top.

The angles of the can need to be very precise because of the physical limitations of aluminium.

“We explored various shapes that would be distinguishable in the marketplace, but also viable from an engineering standpoint,” vice president of innovation for Anheuser-Busch, Pat McGauley, said in a statement. “Aluminium can be stretched only about 10% without fracturing, which requires that the angles of the bowtie be very precise.”

Despite its cool shape, the bowtie-shape has not-so-cool factors: it not only uses twice the amount of aluminium and costs more to manufacture, compared to traditional beer cans, but also contains less beer.

Traditional cans hold 12 ounces of beer, while Budweiser’s bowtie-shape can holds 11.3 ounces—but the good thing is, it contains less calories of 137 calories (8.5 less than traditional cans).

The company has rolled out 10 million bowtie cans that will hit shelves on 6 May later this year; and plans to product 8 million more this month.

“This can is incomparable, like nothing you’ve ever seen before,” Vice president of innovation for Anheuser-Busch, Pat McGauley, said in a statement. “The world’s most iconic brand deserves the world’s most unique and innovative can. I think we have it here.”

“The world’s most iconic brand deserves the world’s most unique and innovative can. I think we have it here.”

It’s a C-A-N. And now it looks like a damaged can. And a soft drink can at that!

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel a similarity?

What is so indistinct and unrecognizable about this?

Yes, it is just a C-A-N but props to Budweiser for testing the waters and trying something new. Too many companies today are OKAY with the norm. So regardless if it makes a difference, like the Coors Cans, I respect what they did here…Im glad they are excited about it… It takes A LOT for a corporation to break away from what they are comfortable with and what they know.

Am I a fan? No, I hate Budweiser, but I applaud their efforts and will buy the first one I see.

Double the Aluminum!?

Me too. I tend to buy these (when they are on special) just for the steel can:

What sort of beer is Budweiser? I mean here it has the cachet of a fancy imported beer, but is it considered a shitty cheap beer?

What sort of beer is Budweiser? I mean here it has the cachet of a fancy imported beer, but is it considered a shitty cheap beer?

It’s “cheap” beer here too. If you have any Hispanic friends (and I have many) they call it Bud—wiser.

It’s a CAN. Some MBA’s idea of how to sell more cheap beer.

Isn’t it the same logic that makes the coke bottle special? It’s a B-O-T-T-L-E.
Although I doubt they will stick with the design for 100 years because of all the drawbacks it has… But I imagine it’s nicer to hold not having to squeeze as hard. (oh the problems we have to put up with)

I probably shouldn’t but f it…

I kind of like the angled design. I wish they could have kept more of the classic white graphic look of the bottom one though. Ah…Bud Heavy.

The Sappora can is actually a Stainless Steel unibody housing with a top part that’s attached via friction stir welding after it’s been filled. 210 minutes total CNC milling time per can.

Surely not, wouldn’t it be made like a tin can? A flat piece that is rolled and joined at the seam?

We’ve been watching this and interested to see the results. There will be a lift in sales just because it’s different. But the real question is weather they can sustain the lift in sales. That’s always the challenge when it comes to introducing something different in a heavily commoditized industry. This is the work I deal with on the other side of the fence and I can appreciate their ability to push forward and test the waters on something like this, especially on a brand with such large volume. But then again, they really have nothing to lose since that brand has been on the decline for multiple years. It’s a sign that they’re making last ditch efforts to save the brand. It’s good for the whole industry and eventually the consumer.

ABI is well known for their ability in assimilating success around them. They did it with Bud Light mirroring Miller Lite and also Shock Top mirroring Blue Moon. It’s no surprise that they may be pulling elements from Coca Cola now in an effort to leverage their success.

From the business side, they’ll need to figure otu a way to come to terms with the increase in material. I’m sure they’re COGS on this package is pretty challenging for the company to absorb. However, if they manage to increase volume it’ll make it an easier pill to swallow.

On the consumer side, we’ve yet to see any consumer make their purchasing decision based on sustainability. While many are very vocal about it, very few change their purchasing behavior to support their cause. As a matter of fact, most of them tend to buy items that have more material in the package. Many consumers look to the company’s overall initiatives on sustainability as opposed to just the packaging.

+1 (added bold emphasis)

When you think about the final design of the can, most people (designers included) are not seeing the design of the infrastructure that is behind making this. Its tremendous and this can represents buy-in from multiple levels and resources through the supply chain. One of my designers thought it looked “pre-crushed” and wanted to head-butt it. I don’t drink Bud often but can’t wait to see this in my local corner store.

Link to an article in Packaging Digest on this can.-
http://www.packagingdigest.com/article/523221-Budweiser_to_introduce_bowtie_shaped_can.php

Personally this can is not going to get me to buy Bud, I will buy an 8 pack to examine the can, but after that no more, just not my kind of beer.

IMO, the old can graphics were dated, but will probably resurface as “Bud Classic” at some later date. :slight_smile: The comparison pic really points out how dated it looks, although very identifiable.

Beer marketing, if the taste is not changed, is about relating the product with current social attitudes and generational identifiers, you need to change the look every so often to keep interest high, never mind the product. (I suppose this applies to just about every established product created though).

I also admire the effort and risk, and how did that Michelob pop top can work out? I don’t think it even made it to my part of the world.

If overall sales increase over time by using this can more than projected without this can, it is a success.
The tooling and packaging lends itself to more of these types of promotions in the future. customer design contests, event specific promotions and cans, I say a smart move.