Why Chinese goods cost less...

… it kind of says something about the value of that skill does it not?

No, it does not.

This young man is eating at his father’s table, sleeping warm under his roof, being provided with clothing and his medical and dental expenses are borne by his parents. He does not have to drive himself to work, maintain an automobile, pay fuel and insurance. He is not saving any money for the day when he retires,

But more to your question of “worth”, while reasonably proficient at running this machine, I suspect that this is the only piece of equipment that he can operate. Most operating engineers, if they are going to be able to make a living operating equipment, must be able to efficiently operate many different makes, types, and sizes of machines beside a front loader; back hoe, scraper, bulldozer, motor-grader, excavator, etc. Generally, it takes both hands, and at least one foot simultaneously to “work” a machine to it’s maximum capability. Operating engineers are responsible for interpreting and converting the elevations specified on drawings to actual “grade” on the ground utilizing both conventional transits and modern laser and GPS “grade checking” equipment. I don’t think junior, in his current capacity, is able to do any of this.

Aside from the issues of common sense and judgement, as I noted previously, this little guy is unable to operate this loader in what would be considered a “safe” manner - he is frightfully unaware of his surroundings; meaning both other equipment and more importantly people on the ground are at risk. On anything other than this restricted concrete slab (rough terrain for example) he would be totally unable of maintaining control of the machine, if in fact he could even stay in it (given that he can not wear a seat belt).

As a card-carrying Member of the International Union of Operating Engineers I can attest that you won’t find anyone making $50/hour on a “normal” basis; specialty equipment and extreme conditions being the exception. My wage is $38.18/hour; out of which is deducted union dues, health & dental, vacation fund, and pension payments. The journeyman scale only goes down the further east you go; in Florida it’s roughly $26/hours (less “bennies”).