Why Chinese goods cost less...

Hatts,

The idea that we are indirectly supporting this kid’s lifestyle (and many others like him) was my point by my subtle mention that we keep buying the stuff they make! We truly live in a different world on this side of the rock - that kid’s actions are not out of the ordinary and it’s no doubt a family thing (either his Dad or friend of the family operates or owns the rig and has given him extensive time at the controls) but there’s no way he is on a payroll as an excavator operator!

Everything’s relative; for instance, our coddling has created lower immunity to air pollution as well as overuse and thereby lessening effectiveness of antibiotics - and its getting worse generation by generation. You don’t see that in China, Taiwan, etc…or even Mexico. The body has an amazing ability to filter, function and heal on it’s own and those regions with harsher conditions might not be as detrimental as we think. Don’t get me wrong, I’m right here with you breathing the same quality air and making sure my kids have filtered water and FDA approved food, but I see the underlying effectiveness of less strict environments - they get stuff done with less resources and in less time. Sure, our take is, “they’ll be as civilized as us one day” as their median income rises and their water & air become more polluted but in the meantime they continue marching forward ‘making stuff’.

Is that chart Global or North American? And does it take into account rising inflation? Just wondering as it is a good chart to see.