2013, a year for Epic Sci Fi

Have any of you seen Cloud Atlas? It came out in October 2012, but it is still hanging around in some theaters, I want to go see it. Cloud Atlas Trailer # 2 - YouTube

I read the book before watching, my wife didn’t. She didn’t get the ‘connectedness’ of the characters and so didn’t really like it as much as I did.
I liked the book but in the movies all the actors playing different roles can be a bit jarring, especially when halfway through their story you realise that a female character is a famous male actor etc., and you get taken out of the movie suddenly. That said, the credits are great because it shows who played who, and some of them you’d never guess.

i read the book first, i think you will like the movie more if you do because it delivers on some of the amazing aspects of the book, but then again leaves a TON out and kinda changes the overall narrative of the story.

if you didnt read the book i think it just seems a bit odd, and it dosent do justice to some of the more ‘deep’ themes that the book really digs into, most notably in the 2 most futuristic settings. cloud atlas could have easily been 2-3-4 seperate movies.

but i highly recommend the book, it was great.

A couple not mentioned here can be found at 10 Sci-Fi Films To Look Forward To In 2013 | Den of Geek

There seem to be a lot of post-post apocalyptic films in the works, as if we are all growing tired of watching NYC getting destroyed over and over again, and sci-fi is swinging back in the direction of a bright shiny future. I for one, am OK with this.

Also relevant: 8 Signs That Pop Culture Is Finally Done With the Apocalypse

Nice, thanks for sharing that ACM!

I know this is a 2012 movie, but I finally saw “Looper” last night. There were some obvious SciFi Noir BladeRunner nods, and making Jason Gordon Levitt look more like Bruce Willis was a bit forced in some scenes, and some serious plot holes, but I liked it. In relationship to this article I was trying to figure out the setting. It seemed semi apocalyptic. Just the run down grimy version of the future.

Not exactly epic, but I thought a spot-on vision of the near future, and a nice little film as well - “Robot and Frank”:

I remember seeing the trailer for that awhile back and then it fell off my radar. Thanks for reminding me.

If you haven’t read “Wool” by Hugh Howey yet, I highly recommend it. I know this isn’t about movies for 2013, but it is a book that had the option to publish it purchased by Ridley Scott…which I figure is close enough :slight_smile:

It has leapt into my list of must-reads whenever I am asked about books to read. It came out on paperback today. It was published by an indie author and has spent several months gaining momentum as one of the top selling e-books on Amazon.

Check it out here:
http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Omnibus-Edition-Silo-ebook/dp/B0071XO8RA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363013833&sr=8-1&keywords=wool

Thanks for the tip Jon. I just downloading the audio version to listen to during my commute.

Let me know what you think…I couldn’t put it down. And for $3/$4 on Kindle…it was worth every penny.

Tough to pass up at $0.99 for the nook. Ill have this one lined up after the I finally finish Cloud Atlas.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wool-hugh-howey/1104684912?ean=2940013196292

Make sure you get the Omnibus edition, though…the one you’re linking too is just part 1…the full “book” is parts 1 - 5.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wool-omnibus-edition-hugh-howey/1110185323?ean=2940014544085

Ya know… I watched an old movie this evening that I hadn’t seen is a long time. I remember it from when I was a kid. About whaling and life at sea in the era of sail, and a lot more … Richard Widmark, Dean Stockwell, Lionel Barrymore … it might as well have been science fiction at the time, but it had a message attached. Something that “modern” film seems to lack. Great action, great photography.

I recommend it highly. If you have kids old enough to comprehend it I’d have them watch it too…

Down to the Sea in Ships, 1949, 20th Century Fox

bubble ship!

Helix from the producers of BSG and Lost. I’m pretty intrigued so far…but I am also a huge BSG fan.

There’s also Defiance…I watched the pilot last night…pretty ambitions undertaking…especially for a TV show. I’m interested also to see how this video game cross over works.

http://www.defiance.com/en/

Has anyone brought up Elysium yet? From the creator of District 9

also, was from last year, but finally saw Robot & Frank

Saw Oblivion on Friday…I enjoyed it. It was kind of a combo film - if I took 3 other movies and a video game (I’ll remain nameless to avoid spoilers) and stuck it in a blender with some Tom Cruise on top, that would come out.

But it was fun to watch…really nice visuals and some sweet design work.

Now for Ironman to get here…

Just saw Oblivion, really liked it, though a bit predictable, very enjoyable and well done… though I couldn’t stop thinking about the Superman trailer that was shown beforehand. I’m not a huge Superman fan, but pretty much anything Christopher Nolan touches I love. The trailer was pretty powerful: