Will I have a good chance for a job after graduation?

But as yo points out, there is more to getting a job than merely obtaining a degree in a chosen field; it isn’t just in your technical abilities. Your social skills will mature as you progress through college (and I am in no way referring to anything you can pick up of Facebook). “Fun” is of course a relative term. If you enjoy learning new things, interacting with people with similar interests, and problem solving then that’s fun…

Agree. Excellent advice. If I may add another point or two, one has to prepare their mindset to learn. I think it is easy to get distracted and overwhelmed at the amount of information you have to learn in your particular discipline (whether it’s design school, engineering, etc…). However, having focus during the actual process of learning without distractions will be key. Your success will heavily depend on your intellectual curiosity in not only your field but other fields related to the design process.

While attending school, get into the habit of exercising critical thinking and try to understand how products are made. Reverse engineer existing products in parallel with visual thinking. Understand the components and manufacturing processes needed to make them. The more knowledge you gain, the better off you will be to communicate cross-functionally and gain the respect from your peers.

As some have pointed out, you are now competing with individuals globally but also have full access to tools that can provide you with information to take your skills to new levels(this forum is loaded with inspirational content and the collective knowledge of industry professionals). Use the tools and be determined to perform to the best of your ability.

All the best!