ACCD..is it worth the financial burden?

Hey there,

My 2 cents worth. I have been working in the auto industry for 15 years (first interiors and now seating). Most of my friends graduated from either CCS, Art Center, Cleveland Institute of Art, and Univ. of Cincinnati. Back in the 90’s I think it was a little bit easier to justify the costs of the tuition but most of what people have been posting in this forum is correct. The top level jobs(if you view top level as in exterior designer) are few and your chances are higher if you attended Art Center or CCS. In addition to that, they will pick only the top 15% or so in the class. Needless to say it is competitive.

I wrote an article about this months ago comparing public and private schools relating to design.

That said, I have to say that tuition in general for these private schools are out of control. If you have the ambition and drive, you CAN indeed make it. We have hired students in the interiors business from U of M and other schools but a lot depends on your portfolio and work. It would be very difficult to get an exterior design position with a Graphic Design background…not impossible, just nearly :wink:

Hope this helps. Best of luck!